Re: [hr100] Problem Bear on the Hardrock Course!

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
      I think everyone is just trying to get Deb into the race by scaring off some
      of the runners ;-) BTW: I got into the race on Sunday, even though it
      doesn't show up yet on the list :-)

      This is about the same place I saw the mountain lion in the road in 2001 as
      I was coming in to the finish at night!

      See you all soon!
      Steve

      On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Rodger A Wrublik <
      silvertonultras@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > After reading the last thread about sun and surf, I hope everyone believes
      > that I'm being serious here, because I am.
      >
      > We had a guest, just yesterday, who encountered a bear on the Arrastra jeep
      > road that leads up to Little Giant. It was about a mile up from the main
      > road where there's a fork in the road (to Silver Lake), which, by the way,
      > is part of the Hardrock course. As she was backing her car into a pullout
      > on
      > the side of the road a bear ran out of the woods and tried getting into her
      > car, with her still in it! This bear had absolutely no fear of humans
      > whatsoever and the paw prints are still on the car to prove it. She tried
      > her best to scare the bear off, by honking her horn and such, but to no
      > avail. She finally had to leave.
      >
      > The sheriff has been notified and they're extremely concerned about this.
      > In
      > all the years, they have never had a bear act this way.
      >
      > They are in the process of trying to locate this bear but nothing as of
      > yet.
      >
      > Rodger
      >
      > --
      > Rodger Wrublik
      >
      > *Silverton, Colorado*
      >
      > Silverton Special Events <http://www.silvertonspecialevents.com/>
      > Silverton 1000 & 6 Day <http://goog_1104176497>
      > Silverton Alpine Marathon &
      > 50k<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_035.htm>
      > Kendall Mountain
      > Run<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_029.htm>

    • Deb P
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
        Dang. Got my bear spray ready, just in case.
        Glad your guest was not injured.

        silvertonultras@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > After reading the last thread about sun and surf, I hope everyone believes
        > that I'm being serious here, because I am.
        >
        > We had a guest, just yesterday, who encountered a bear on the Arrastra jeep
        > road that leads up to Little Giant. It was about a mile up from the main
        > road where there's a fork in the road (to Silver Lake), which, by the way,
        > is part of the Hardrock course. As she was backing her car into a pullout
        > on
        > the side of the road a bear ran out of the woods and tried getting into her
        > car, with her still in it! This bear had absolutely no fear of humans
        > whatsoever and the paw prints are still on the car to prove it. She tried
        > her best to scare the bear off, by honking her horn and such, but to no
        > avail. She finally had to leave.
        >
        > The sheriff has been notified and they're extremely concerned about this.
        > In
        > all the years, they have never had a bear act this way.
        >
        > They are in the process of trying to locate this bear but nothing as of
        > yet.
        >
        > Rodger
        >
        > --
        > Rodger Wrublik
        >
        > *Silverton, Colorado*
        >
        > Silverton Special Events <http://www.silvertonspecialevents.com/>
        > Silverton 1000 & 6 Day <http://goog_1104176497>
        > Silverton Alpine Marathon &
        > 50k<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_035.htm>
        > Kendall Mountain
        > Run<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_029.htm>

      • Jon MacManus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          Everyone sees mountain lions at night as they approach the finish, as well
          as elephants and kangaroo's.