Re: Virginius Photos - 7/2/2011

  • thebeave7
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2 5:49 PM
      Here are some more photos from our trip up Virginius Pass today...
      http://www.ericjlee.com/Photo/thumbnails.php?album=279
      Lots of snow up high, and it'll be there for next week's race. The down low stuff is melting really fast and might be clear below 12k. Rivers are moving and lots of water flowing down the road/trail. Happy prep to all racers and pacers.

      Eric Lee

    • Klondike4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2 5:54 PM
        To ensure that runners starting the race have demonstrated the ability within the past couple years to make themselves ready for the physical demands of a 100 mile race...."
        The basis for this thread seems to be (to me anyway) that a DNF somehow negates your ability or desire to finish - a premise that is simply - overly simplistic in its thinking and or simply beyond the capacity of a governing board to discern - because someone DNF's once, or multiple once's, has no bearing on their desire or capacity. While I understand the sentiment that its becoming harder and harder to gain entry - who's to say that the person you deny entry too is any better or worse than the person that gets their spot - how does that get discerned. Its hard enough to put on a run/race/event without asking the powers that be somehow be clairvoyant.

        As a two time DNF before finally breaking thru to a finish I can say for certainty that it had nothing to do with desire or preparation - and had the third time not been the charm I would have returned ad infinitum, till charmed.

        Without the ability to predict the future, I dont see how any sort of DNF can factor into the equation.

        Cheers and Good vibes to all toeing the line this yr. - Jeff WIlbur

        From: Olga Varlamova <olgav100@...>
        To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, July 2, 2011, 6:10 PM

        I am all for making rules stricter. How about dropping Leadville, and adding
        that you have to "serve" the course in capacity of pacer, trail worker, race
        volunteer, marking, sweeping, and so on? Kind of Badwater pathway. Also, not
        "finished HR in the last 5 years", but limit to 2 years on that, and then
        run another qualifier?

        Olga, who is so far down the list it's not even funny, but here, enjoying
        this most beautiful playground.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2 7:06 PM
          If the purpose of the qualifying races is for safety, then Leadville is probably
          a better test of a runner's ability to tolerate high altitude than any of the
          other qualifying races.

          If the purpose is to limit the starting field, then obviously the current system
          is a failure.

          -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        • Steve Kral
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3 8:25 AM
            Although I don't see any prohibitions on use of this Yahoo Group for commercial purposes, I'll go ahead and apologize in advance to anyone who feels using it for advertising contradicts its intended purpose.

            And that said, since people in the past have expressed interest in finding accommodation during Hardrock through this Group Email....I was talking to a hotel proprietor this morning who said she had a recent cancellation and knows people have been looking for rooms.

            Cassandra
            www.trianglemotel.com
            Suite B
            $130 a night + tax
            available July 5-10
            970 387 5780
            King bed, futon, kitchen

            Disclaimer: I stand to make no commission on this transaction!

            Cheers
            Steve Kral

          • Scott Brockmeier
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 3 9:37 AM
              Maria Sylvia Petzold <maria.sylvia.petzold@...> is looking to pace someone. Below is a note she sent to the ultra list.

              Scott

              ```````````````````````````
              Hi there,

              I was wondering if there's anyone of you out there running Hardrock
              this year and still in need for a pacer.

              I paced 60 miles last year (Howie Stern), and 28 miles the year before
              (Howard Cohen) - both to a PR.

              Hardrock is something very special to me - it was my first experience
              in Colorado, and finally made me move to Colorado from California.
              So, I'd like to have an excuse to be out on the course, and benefit
              from the aid stations, and meet all the great Hardrock people, aside
              from getting sunrise in the San Juans, after a night long of
              struggling.

              I am pretty easy going, and can either indicate things like stream
              crossings, obstacles on the trail, etc. ahead of time, or not talk
              much at all, if preferred. Or, I can motivate. I can go over
              logistics ahead of time etc.
              I'll stick it out with you if you have a moment at an aid station and
              need to rest for an hour. The only condition I would have for pacing
              is: be determined to not drop, even if it's hard (it's Hardrock! :)),
              unless there's a medical urgency or a safety concern.

              I'd really just like to be at Hardrock 2011 :)

              Please email me off list if interested.

              Thanks, and good luck to all Hardrockers!
              -Maria
              --
              "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a
              habit." - Aristotle

            • Ward, Kenneth (Corvallis)
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 20 3:17 PM
                Hi All,

                Now ten days after the race I’m finally starting to feel able to respond to this important thread. This year’s race was 50% harder than any of the 60 ultras I’ve done including three HRs. I agree with Jeff that there’s been too much emphasis on training and which races qualify someone. Completing the race is more than a matter of respecting the course, there’s a huge number of dependant and independent variables which in my view fall in this order: desire, number of previous finishes, acclimatization, decision making during the run, and then finally comes conditioning. People can and do finish the race after multiple DNF’s and it’s tremendously exciting and rewarding to see. Nobody should be treated differently because of a DNF, but there should of course be no reward for a DNF either.

                Overall, the run committee and BOD does an outstanding job of designing the lottery and the qualification standards under extremely difficult conditions. Everyone wants something for themselves, and how does the Board balance it all ??

                There’s only one rule that I believe should be changed, and I would like to formally request that the Board consider this one rule change. Likely it could not be implemented until one year from when it is changed, to allow entrants to respond to the change. The one rule that does not seem consistent with other qualifying standards is the rule that gives three years of eligibility to someone that starts the race but does not finish.

                This year I did not study the DNFs because there were so many. Last year, when there were lots fewer DNFs, I tried to determine how many of the DNFs had qualified under “the rule” that I suggest changing. Surprisingly to me, by looking at realendurance.com, there appeared to be only 4-5 people who had to qualify for the lottery under “the rule”. So it would not be a great impact, and I believe many of those who use “the rule” could qualify if the rule were changed. In addition, there may be people who use “the rule” to qualify who provide exceptional service to the race. Those people could still be allowed to qualify based on a special exemption that the Board could choose to grant.

                In summary, I don’t think changing this rule will have much effect on the race, nor upon the chances on anyone else in the lottery. However, I do think changing this one simple rule would have a great effect on people’s perception of the awesome “wild and tough” designation, and the great, difficult standards which have always signified the lottery contestants. Hardrock is the best race in the world bar none, and the most pure and consistent to its long-held philosophy. This is something to celebrate, not to criticize. As an RD, I know that however we continue to improve our races, however great they are, there’s always room for slight improvements.

                Thanks for listening and for the consideration,

                Ken Ward
                Near Sea-Level, Corvallis, Oregon

                On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM, zagbag5 <zagbag5@...<mailto:zagbag5%40yahoo.com>> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I like the message you're sending!
                > Is there any consideration to change the qualifying standards?
                > I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Leadville as a qualifier (even though I
                > used it!) or requiring two qualifying runs to enter.
                > Seems like we need to narrow the potential runner list to those who really
                > want to run HR and not just hit up the lottery because they can and then
                > decide later. Just a thought; I'm not knowledgeable about the numbers of
                > entrants y'all get or how they look.
                > Coming this year to volunteer and enjoy some mountain air!
                > Steven in Austin TX.
                >

                > > And just because the qualifying rules of Hardrock reward a DNF with
                > > three additional years of eligibility to post another DNF (an oxymoronic,
                >
                > > self-perpetuating vehicle for promoting DNF's), consider you can
                > > always run another qualifying 100-miler instead of posting a DNF in the
                > > Hardrock 100 Mile Run to retain your eligibility for the run.
                > >
                > > Remember, the Hardrock 100 Mile Run is conceived to be completed over the
                > course of 2 days, not 2 years....
                > >
                > > Best of luck to all,
                > > Steve Kral

              • Stevan Pattillo
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 22 12:25 PM
                  The object of Hardrock is to finish. Steve-o

                  Stevan Pattillo
                  Research Technician
                  MST-7
                  Los Alamos National Laboratory
                  505-665-7423

                  "You can make time, but you can't make-up time".
                  J. Dewalt Hardrock Hundred 2003