Hardrock by the numbers

  • Steve Kral
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
      0% of Hardrock finishers in 2010 had 3 or more DNF's in the previous five years.
      3% of Hardrock finishers in 2010 had 2 DNF's in the previous five years.97% of Hardrock finishers in 2010 had 1 or less DNF's in the previous five years.84% of Hardrock finishers in 2010 had NO DNF's in the previous five years.
      84% of Hardrock starters in 2010 who had 2 or more DNF's in the previous five years and posted another DNF in 2010.6 -- Number of Hardrock starters in 2010
      had 3 or more DNFs in the previous five years and none of them posted a successful finish.139
      -- Number of spots in the starting fields that have been filled by
      people with
      two or more DNF's in the past six years....an average of 2.67 starts
      for each of these runners. In other words, the race has essentially been
      run once in the past six years--140 entrants in the field--for the benefit of
      runners who have shown a repeated tendency to
      not complete the physical preparation necessary to complete the Hardrock 100 Mile Run.
      7 -- Number of spots currently occupied in this year's field by runners with 3 or more DNF's in the past six years.4 -- Average number of starts in the past six years resulting in DNF's for the above-referenced 7 runners in this year's field.50 -- Average number of miles completed by the above-referenced 7 runners in their DNF's.49 -- Average number of miles completed by the above-referenced 7 runners in their last effort (they don't seem to be getting any closer to
      finishing).50-60 -- Estimate of volunteer hours contributed in preparation on behalf of each runner to make their attempt at the Hardrock 100 Mile Run possible.200+?
      -- Number of aspiring runners on the wait list who have done the
      physical preparation necessary to complete the Hardrock 100 Mile Run.
      Food for thought....

      Far more than half of all entrants in the Hardrock 100 Mile Run complete the Hardrock 100 Mile Run. One
      can therefore extrapolate that the majority of runners do the physical
      preparation necessary (showing respect for the run and the volunteers
      who commit their time to make it possible) to have a better than 50%
      chance of completing the Hardrock 100 Mile Run.
      For any runner in the field (especially those who have come in the past having done the preparation necessary to complete only half the run) who doesn't feel confident they have committed to doing the physical preparation necessary for completing the Hardrock 100 Mile Run, now would be a good time to give someone else on the wait list who has done the preparation their opportunity to be in the run.

      And just because the qualifying rules of Hardrock reward a DNF with
      three additional years of eligibility to post another DNF (an oxymoronic,
      self-perpetuating vehicle for promoting DNF's), consider you can
      always run another qualifying 100-miler instead of posting a DNF in the
      Hardrock 100 Mile Run to retain your eligibility for the run.

      Remember, the Hardrock 100 Mile Run is conceived to be completed over the course of 2 days, not 2 years....

      Best of luck to all,
      Steve Kral

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
        I think that stricter qualifying standards are in order. The current lottery
        system means that we will never have a showdown between the world's best
        ultrarunners like we just had at Western States. It means that whoever wins next
        week can attribute their victory to a computer random number generator that
        excluded the rest of the elite field.

        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@... (28 seconds short of 5 Hardrock finishes,
        and did not even make the wait list this year)

      • zagbag5
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
          I like the message you're sending!
          Is there any consideration to change the qualifying standards?
          I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Leadville as a qualifier (even though I used it!) or requiring two qualifying runs to enter.
          Seems like we need to narrow the potential runner list to those who really want to run HR and not just hit up the lottery because they can and then decide later. Just a thought; I'm not knowledgeable about the numbers of entrants y'all get or how they look.
          Coming this year to volunteer and enjoy some mountain air!
          Steven in Austin TX.

          > And just because the qualifying rules of Hardrock reward a DNF with
          > three additional years of eligibility to post another DNF (an oxymoronic,
          > self-perpetuating vehicle for promoting DNF's), consider you can
          > always run another qualifying 100-miler instead of posting a DNF in the
          > Hardrock 100 Mile Run to retain your eligibility for the run.
          >
          > Remember, the Hardrock 100 Mile Run is conceived to be completed over the course of 2 days, not 2 years....
          >
          > Best of luck to all,
          > Steve Kral

        • kaitainen
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
            For what it's worth, I have *always* advocated for dropping both Western States and Leadville as qualifiers. They're mountainous, sure, but SOOOO different from HR.

            Also for what it's worth, I DNFed twice at Leadville and never finished, but finished HR twice. :-) Ok, I also DNFed twice at Hardrock, but still... different skill sets.

            Andrea (HRH Board member)

            --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com, "zagbag5" <zagbag5@...> wrote:

            > I like the message you're sending!
            > Is there any consideration to change the qualifying standards?
            > I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Leadville as a qualifier (even though I used it!) or requiring two qualifying runs to enter.
            > Seems like we need to narrow the potential runner list to those who really want to run HR and not just hit up the lottery because they can and then decide later. Just a thought; I'm not knowledgeable about the numbers of entrants y'all get or how they look.
            > Coming this year to volunteer and enjoy some mountain air!
            > Steven in Austin TX.
            >

            > > And just because the qualifying rules of Hardrock reward a DNF with
            > > three additional years of eligibility to post another DNF (an oxymoronic,
            > > self-perpetuating vehicle for promoting DNF's), consider you can
            > > always run another qualifying 100-miler instead of posting a DNF in the
            > > Hardrock 100 Mile Run to retain your eligibility for the run.
            > >
            > > Remember, the Hardrock 100 Mile Run is conceived to be completed over the course of 2 days, not 2 years....
            > >
            > > Best of luck to all,
            > > Steve Kral

          • Scott Brockmeier
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2011
              I joined the party marking the course from Governor's Basin up to Virginius pass. There was a LOT of snow. I can see now why some people are talking of bringing an ice axe on race day. Snow conditions when we went up were quite good. I hate to think about what it will be like at 5am on Saturday morning.

              If this is your first HRH and you haven't been out to see the current course conditions, take this run seriously! I took some pictures and posted them on Picasa: http://tinyurl.com/3rebypw

              Cheers, and be safe!

              Scott

            • Andy Hewat
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                Wow amazing snow shots. Thanks Scott. Looks like the Virginius day was early. Does that mean there was no hot baths and mexican this year?
                Andy

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                  I am all for making rules stricter. How about dropping Leadville, and adding
                  that you have to "serve" the course in capacity of pacer, trail worker, race
                  volunteer, marking, sweeping, and so on? Kind of Badwater pathway. Also, not
                  "finished HR in the last 5 years", but limit to 2 years on that, and then
                  run another qualifier?

                  Olga, who is so far down the list it's not even funny, but here, enjoying
                  this most beautiful playground.

                  On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM, zagbag5 <zagbag5@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I like the message you're sending!
                  > Is there any consideration to change the qualifying standards?
                  > I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Leadville as a qualifier (even though I
                  > used it!) or requiring two qualifying runs to enter.
                  > Seems like we need to narrow the potential runner list to those who really
                  > want to run HR and not just hit up the lottery because they can and then
                  > decide later. Just a thought; I'm not knowledgeable about the numbers of
                  > entrants y'all get or how they look.
                  > Coming this year to volunteer and enjoy some mountain air!
                  > Steven in Austin TX.
                  >

                  > > And just because the qualifying rules of Hardrock reward a DNF with
                  > > three additional years of eligibility to post another DNF (an oxymoronic,
                  >
                  > > self-perpetuating vehicle for promoting DNF's), consider you can
                  > > always run another qualifying 100-miler instead of posting a DNF in the
                  > > Hardrock 100 Mile Run to retain your eligibility for the run.
                  > >
                  > > Remember, the Hardrock 100 Mile Run is conceived to be completed over the
                  > course of 2 days, not 2 years....
                  > >
                  > > Best of luck to all,
                  > > Steve Kral

                • Chris Twiggs
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                    Plenty of Mexican. That I can vouch for!

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 2, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Andy Hewat <hewat.andy@...> wrote:

                    > Wow amazing snow shots. Thanks Scott. Looks like the Virginius day was early. Does that mean there was no hot baths and mexican this year?
                    > Andy

                  • Steve Kral
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                      Thanks to those who have shown the interest and taken the time to express opinions about my email "Hardrock by the numbers." The question of dropping this race as a qualifier or that race as a qualifier is an interesting one....but let's review the qualifier, keeping in mind, that QUALIFYING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LOTTERY.

                      Hardrock's website notes that the qualifying standards are set up "for safety reasons." Blake reinforced this idea to me in a recent email: "We have qualifiers primarily to ensure that runners can be safe in the mountains and that they know what they're getting into.  Having started one of the previous three runs {Hardrock} satisfies these criteria."

                      I'm not sure what the "primarily" means in this case, no other concerns have ever been expressed anywhere that I have seen.

                      So, if as Andrea suggests, Leadville or Western States were dropped as qualifiers, the Board of Hardrock would be saying, people that finish these two races in 2011 would not have the experience to be safe in the mountains for purposes of competing in Hardrock in the years 2012 and 2013. On the other hand, a runner who starts Hardrock this year and falls in the parking lot as he's leaving Kendall Mountain Recreation Center (remember, new race start this year) or just decides he'd rather watch the Adventure Channel in his hotel room on Friday, July 8 and goes back to his car...miraculously...is deemed by Hardrock...by virtue of his hazardous journey through the Kendall Mountain Recreation Center parking lot, to have the mountaineering experience necessary to qualify for Hardrock, not only in 2012 and 2013, but 2014 as well!

                      How does that make sense?

                      By virtue of Hardrock's rules, the runner who became disoriented and embarked on an ill-advised descent (or at least gave that appearance) last year, and caused the fellow participant to abandon his run attempt in order to ensure the safety of the wayward runner, somehow displayed to the Board the mountaineering experience necessary to be qualified for another 3 years. Humph?

                      Now if Hardrock were to change the purpose of the qualifier to, for example, "ensure as much as practicable that runners can provide for their own safety in the mountains AND to ensure that runners starting the race have demonstrated the ability within the past couple years to make themselves ready for the physical demands of a 100 mile race...." then sports fans, you have a whole new ball game.

                      Yes Steven in Austin TX, two non-Hardrock qualifying runs would be a great idea...with the stipulation being that one is in the calendar year preceding the Hardrock 100 in question.

                      Yes Olga, who is so far down the list it's not even funny, limit qualifiers to those who have finished Hardrock in the past 2 years. I note your point on "run another qualifier," but unless said applicant had qualified by the "special mountaineering exemption," which is very rare, by definition of the rules, they would already have another qualifier. But the last 2 years is a great idea.

                      And yes, Don Platt in Steamboat, under those conditions maybe the logic of a DNF counting as a qualifier....wouldn't be so logical.

                      Keep those ideas rolling in boys and girls....the eyes and ears of Big Brother are upon us.

                    • chris@chrisgerber.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                        A few of us went up Virginius today, if anyone wants to see up-to-date
                        conditions, they are posted on Facebook (should be viewable to anyone):

                        https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150225192582314.313918.615607313&l=f41786df20

                        The snow is melting *very* fast up there. We had to reset quite a few
                        HRH markers that had nearly melted out already.

                        If you're planning on being there at night, microspikes or crampons
                        may be a Good Idea(tm). I'm *very* comfortable on steep snow, and
                        plan on using them. It was a rockin' glissade... bummer it's a CCW
                        year. :)

                        - Chris
                      • thebeave7
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                          Here are some more photos from our trip up Virginius Pass today...
                          http://www.ericjlee.com/Photo/thumbnails.php?album=279
                          Lots of snow up high, and it'll be there for next week's race. The down low stuff is melting really fast and might be clear below 12k. Rivers are moving and lots of water flowing down the road/trail. Happy prep to all racers and pacers.

                          Eric Lee

                        • Klondike4@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                            To ensure that runners starting the race have demonstrated the ability within the past couple years to make themselves ready for the physical demands of a 100 mile race...."
                            The basis for this thread seems to be (to me anyway) that a DNF somehow negates your ability or desire to finish - a premise that is simply - overly simplistic in its thinking and or simply beyond the capacity of a governing board to discern - because someone DNF's once, or multiple once's, has no bearing on their desire or capacity. While I understand the sentiment that its becoming harder and harder to gain entry - who's to say that the person you deny entry too is any better or worse than the person that gets their spot - how does that get discerned. Its hard enough to put on a run/race/event without asking the powers that be somehow be clairvoyant.

                            As a two time DNF before finally breaking thru to a finish I can say for certainty that it had nothing to do with desire or preparation - and had the third time not been the charm I would have returned ad infinitum, till charmed.

                            Without the ability to predict the future, I dont see how any sort of DNF can factor into the equation.

                            Cheers and Good vibes to all toeing the line this yr. - Jeff WIlbur

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 2, 2011
                              If the purpose of the qualifying races is for safety, then Leadville is probably
                              a better test of a runner's ability to tolerate high altitude than any of the
                              other qualifying races.

                              If the purpose is to limit the starting field, then obviously the current system
                              is a failure.

                              -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

                            • Steve Kral
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
                                Although I don't see any prohibitions on use of this Yahoo Group for commercial purposes, I'll go ahead and apologize in advance to anyone who feels using it for advertising contradicts its intended purpose.

                                And that said, since people in the past have expressed interest in finding accommodation during Hardrock through this Group Email....I was talking to a hotel proprietor this morning who said she had a recent cancellation and knows people have been looking for rooms.

                                Cassandra
                                www.trianglemotel.com
                                Suite B
                                $130 a night + tax
                                available July 5-10
                                970 387 5780
                                King bed, futon, kitchen

                                Disclaimer: I stand to make no commission on this transaction!

                                Cheers
                                Steve Kral

                              • Scott Brockmeier
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
                                  Maria Sylvia Petzold <maria.sylvia.petzold@...> is looking to pace someone. Below is a note she sent to the ultra list.

                                  Scott

                                  ```````````````````````````
                                  Hi there,

                                  I was wondering if there's anyone of you out there running Hardrock
                                  this year and still in need for a pacer.

                                  I paced 60 miles last year (Howie Stern), and 28 miles the year before
                                  (Howard Cohen) - both to a PR.

                                  Hardrock is something very special to me - it was my first experience
                                  in Colorado, and finally made me move to Colorado from California.
                                  So, I'd like to have an excuse to be out on the course, and benefit
                                  from the aid stations, and meet all the great Hardrock people, aside
                                  from getting sunrise in the San Juans, after a night long of
                                  struggling.

                                  I am pretty easy going, and can either indicate things like stream
                                  crossings, obstacles on the trail, etc. ahead of time, or not talk
                                  much at all, if preferred. Or, I can motivate. I can go over
                                  logistics ahead of time etc.
                                  I'll stick it out with you if you have a moment at an aid station and
                                  need to rest for an hour. The only condition I would have for pacing
                                  is: be determined to not drop, even if it's hard (it's Hardrock! :)),
                                  unless there's a medical urgency or a safety concern.

                                  I'd really just like to be at Hardrock 2011 :)

                                  Please email me off list if interested.

                                  Thanks, and good luck to all Hardrockers!
                                  -Maria
                                  --
                                  "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a
                                  habit." - Aristotle

                                • Ward, Kenneth (Corvallis)
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 20, 2011
                                    Hi All,

                                    Now ten days after the race I’m finally starting to feel able to respond to this important thread. This year’s race was 50% harder than any of the 60 ultras I’ve done including three HRs. I agree with Jeff that there’s been too much emphasis on training and which races qualify someone. Completing the race is more than a matter of respecting the course, there’s a huge number of dependant and independent variables which in my view fall in this order: desire, number of previous finishes, acclimatization, decision making during the run, and then finally comes conditioning. People can and do finish the race after multiple DNF’s and it’s tremendously exciting and rewarding to see. Nobody should be treated differently because of a DNF, but there should of course be no reward for a DNF either.

                                    Overall, the run committee and BOD does an outstanding job of designing the lottery and the qualification standards under extremely difficult conditions. Everyone wants something for themselves, and how does the Board balance it all ??

                                    There’s only one rule that I believe should be changed, and I would like to formally request that the Board consider this one rule change. Likely it could not be implemented until one year from when it is changed, to allow entrants to respond to the change. The one rule that does not seem consistent with other qualifying standards is the rule that gives three years of eligibility to someone that starts the race but does not finish.

                                    This year I did not study the DNFs because there were so many. Last year, when there were lots fewer DNFs, I tried to determine how many of the DNFs had qualified under “the rule” that I suggest changing. Surprisingly to me, by looking at realendurance.com, there appeared to be only 4-5 people who had to qualify for the lottery under “the rule”. So it would not be a great impact, and I believe many of those who use “the rule” could qualify if the rule were changed. In addition, there may be people who use “the rule” to qualify who provide exceptional service to the race. Those people could still be allowed to qualify based on a special exemption that the Board could choose to grant.

                                    In summary, I don’t think changing this rule will have much effect on the race, nor upon the chances on anyone else in the lottery. However, I do think changing this one simple rule would have a great effect on people’s perception of the awesome “wild and tough” designation, and the great, difficult standards which have always signified the lottery contestants. Hardrock is the best race in the world bar none, and the most pure and consistent to its long-held philosophy. This is something to celebrate, not to criticize. As an RD, I know that however we continue to improve our races, however great they are, there’s always room for slight improvements.

                                    Thanks for listening and for the consideration,

                                    Ken Ward
                                    Near Sea-Level, Corvallis, Oregon

                                    On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM, zagbag5 <zagbag5@...<mailto:zagbag5%40yahoo.com>> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > I like the message you're sending!
                                    > Is there any consideration to change the qualifying standards?
                                    > I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Leadville as a qualifier (even though I
                                    > used it!) or requiring two qualifying runs to enter.
                                    > Seems like we need to narrow the potential runner list to those who really
                                    > want to run HR and not just hit up the lottery because they can and then
                                    > decide later. Just a thought; I'm not knowledgeable about the numbers of
                                    > entrants y'all get or how they look.
                                    > Coming this year to volunteer and enjoy some mountain air!
                                    > Steven in Austin TX.
                                    >

                                    > > And just because the qualifying rules of Hardrock reward a DNF with
                                    > > three additional years of eligibility to post another DNF (an oxymoronic,
                                    >
                                    > > self-perpetuating vehicle for promoting DNF's), consider you can
                                    > > always run another qualifying 100-miler instead of posting a DNF in the
                                    > > Hardrock 100 Mile Run to retain your eligibility for the run.
                                    > >
                                    > > Remember, the Hardrock 100 Mile Run is conceived to be completed over the
                                    > course of 2 days, not 2 years....
                                    > >
                                    > > Best of luck to all,
                                    > > Steve Kral

                                  • Stevan Pattillo
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 22, 2011
                                      The object of Hardrock is to finish. Steve-o

                                      Stevan Pattillo
                                      Research Technician
                                      MST-7
                                      Los Alamos National Laboratory
                                      505-665-7423

                                      "You can make time, but you can't make-up time".
                                      J. Dewalt Hardrock Hundred 2003