  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2011
      [How serendipitous! On this very selfsame Positivity Wednesday, our friend
      Rob Youngren writes:
      "In the spirit of the solo, unaided, totally self supported Badwater
      efforts, I'd like to see somebody do VolState in this fashion. Carry all
      your supplies from the start to the finish w/o resupply! Now that would be
      something! And as per Marshall Ulrich's rules, if you need to sit in the
      shade it can't be in the shade of a man made structure! ha! Good luck!"
      But if I'm not mistaken, hasn't Joe Ninke already done this? Well, he's
      certainly satisfied MOST of these unnaturally TOUGH criteria. Maybe he did
      everything except NOT stop for more supplies, but for sure there's a photo
      of him doing the Marshall Ulrich "thing" right there on page 64 of the
      July/August 2010 issue of "Marathon & Beyond." So, today I thought to pay a
      little homage to Dr. Joseph Ninke, TMIMITW.
      I don't know that Joe "blogs," but here's a few items of fast research.
      He outright WINS ultras (along with Sandy Melton, who gets her surname from
      Mike, the Strolling Jim RD):
      He "gets" L.O.S.T.:
      He's got a for-real doctor's office with an address and phone number and
      He ain't bad with the bedside manner, he "knows what he's doing," and he's
      earned for himself a 4-Star rating:
      Man, this guy oughta be in the Mobil Travel Guyde, ya think? He rates
      higher than The Limacher Hilton! ;-]

      He is, among other things, the most interesting Otolaryngologist in the
      world. He is also the most interesting man in the world who knows what
      Otolaryngology is.

      His latex gloves have entered more arenas than Olympic athletes.

      His white lab coat obediently takes not only his orders, but also his
      prescriptions. Occasionally, he sends it by itself to fill patient scripts
      at the nearest drug store.

      His athletic prowess indeed rivals that of Olympians. He has outright won
      more endurance footraces than any Olympic runner in his home state of
      Florida, and sometimes he even beats all the women.

      More than once he has run entirely across the whole state of Tennessee,
      pushing or pulling his own wheeled invention that he calls "the thing,"
      which features the very latest in styrofoam ice chest technology.

      As a mechanical engineer, his global reputation in the transportation
      industry has no equal.

      Once when his solid-rubber-wheeled Tennessee cart popped a flat, he proved
      his lung power and VO2-max by blowing through his own mouth into the wheel
      until it was inflated again. This is all the more impressive because it was
      never inflated to begin with.

      He routinely repairs his own running injuries by making splints out of
      tongue depressors and surgically wrapping all wounds in duct tape.

      His tax accountancy is nothing to sneeze at either. For each sojourn across
      Tennessee that he make on foot, he is able to write off the whole trip by
      addressing the crowd at what's termed "The Last Supper" and calling it his
      job-required research paper presentation at a national medical convention.

      Even the restaurant's wait staff give him a 4-Star rating.

      "I don't always run for 314 miles at a time; but when I do, I prefer to pack
      my own sandwiches and roll my own luggage. Stay road-worthy, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      Also here:

      [and thanks to UltraJohn Price--himself quite homemade cart & road
      worthy--for supplying this in place of that former long and always-broken

      My mark:

      Rich Limacher
      ("that 800-year-old lute-plucking song-and-dance man from France who once
      pushed a knight's wagon--after fixing his--all throughout the Crusades")

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      Who do I need to speak to, to quit all this Positivity Wednesday baloney?
      My gosh. The Southwest's in flames, the Midwest's under water, the South's
      always under a tornado watch, and Illinois keeps sending its governors to
      prison. We even have a fellow ultrarunner ALSO in prison! Thank goodness
      for Blake Wood and the Peros (and Dr. Ninke of course). Today they're about
      the best, and only, positive inspirations I have!!