Re: [hr100] Sun and Surf

  • Steve Kral
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
      To partially allay fears of some, the cornice/snow on Little Giant-Davies would appear to be almost melted out. There is still some decent patches of unconsolidated, sketchy snow covering the trail between the two saddles, a bit dangerous still, but I'd reckon it just may melt out within the next 10 days or so. Granted, after crossing the second saddle, it's 90% snow down to 11,500' where the lowest mine tailings are.

      Similar observation on the course from Grants Swamp Pass down towards Ice Lakes....solid snow from pass to 11,500'.

      On a meltier note, the woods between Kamm Traverse and Ice Lakes Trail are now about 60-70% melted out. Still some 4' drifts in there but shouldn't be a major obstacle in two weeks. Amazingly, still a few snow fingers on south facing Kamm Traverse. The snowfield covering South Mineral Rd just to the west of the Aid Station location will likely be melted out soon enough, if not plowed....wouldn't it be nice if there weren't camper traffic going back and forth on the road?

      On a less
      melty note, from treeline up in Porcupine Basin still appears to be 80% covered in snow, but that's an observation from afar.

      It's warming up this week though after 3-4" of snow up high two days ago.

      Steve
      From: Joe Lea <joelea@...>

      To: "hr100@yahoogroups.com" <hr100@yahoogroups.com>

      Cc: "hr100@yahoogroups.com" <hr100@yahoogroups.com>

      No need to embellish... It's scary out there this year! I got bogged down in the snow just past Nellie Mine yesterday on the way up to Oscars and had to turn back. I should have known what was coming when the trail turned into a waterfall at one point.

      Snowshoes and crampons above 11k. Flippers and snorkel below 11k.

      joe lea

      chapel hill, nc

      twitter: @trailheadmarmot

      On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Deb <mtnrunner02@...> wrote:

      > That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks

      > A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that

      > Sent from my iPod

      > On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:

      > > For all those coming up to the Hardrock course marking, the sun is up

      > > and so are the creeks.

      > > Bring sunscreen and high water waders.

      > > I'll see you in Silverton.

      > > Charlie

    • Bob Combs
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
        and there is always that high voltage possibility from above............