Problem Bear on the Hardrock Course!

  • Rodger A Wrublik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
      After reading the last thread about sun and surf, I hope everyone believes
      that I'm being serious here, because I am.

      We had a guest, just yesterday, who encountered a bear on the Arrastra jeep
      road that leads up to Little Giant. It was about a mile up from the main
      road where there's a fork in the road (to Silver Lake), which, by the way,
      is part of the Hardrock course. As she was backing her car into a pullout on
      the side of the road a bear ran out of the woods and tried getting into her
      car, with her still in it! This bear had absolutely no fear of humans
      whatsoever and the paw prints are still on the car to prove it. She tried
      her best to scare the bear off, by honking her horn and such, but to no
      avail. She finally had to leave.

      The sheriff has been notified and they're extremely concerned about this. In
      all the years, they have never had a bear act this way.

      They are in the process of trying to locate this bear but nothing as of yet.

      Rodger

      --
      Rodger Wrublik

      *Silverton, Colorado*

      Silverton Special Events <http://www.silvertonspecialevents.com/>
      Silverton 1000 & 6 Day <http://goog_1104176497>
      Silverton Alpine Marathon &
      50k<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_035.htm>
      Kendall Mountain
      Run<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_029.htm>

    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
        I think everyone is just trying to get Deb into the race by scaring off some
        of the runners ;-) BTW: I got into the race on Sunday, even though it
        doesn't show up yet on the list :-)

        This is about the same place I saw the mountain lion in the road in 2001 as
        I was coming in to the finish at night!

        See you all soon!
        Steve

        On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Rodger A Wrublik <
        silvertonultras@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > After reading the last thread about sun and surf, I hope everyone believes
        > that I'm being serious here, because I am.
        >
        > We had a guest, just yesterday, who encountered a bear on the Arrastra jeep
        > road that leads up to Little Giant. It was about a mile up from the main
        > road where there's a fork in the road (to Silver Lake), which, by the way,
        > is part of the Hardrock course. As she was backing her car into a pullout
        > on
        > the side of the road a bear ran out of the woods and tried getting into her
        > car, with her still in it! This bear had absolutely no fear of humans
        > whatsoever and the paw prints are still on the car to prove it. She tried
        > her best to scare the bear off, by honking her horn and such, but to no
        > avail. She finally had to leave.
        >
        > The sheriff has been notified and they're extremely concerned about this.
        > In
        > all the years, they have never had a bear act this way.
        >
        > They are in the process of trying to locate this bear but nothing as of
        > yet.
        >
        > Rodger
        >
        > --
        > Rodger Wrublik
        >
        > *Silverton, Colorado*
        >
        > Silverton Special Events <http://www.silvertonspecialevents.com/>
        > Silverton 1000 & 6 Day <http://goog_1104176497>
        > Silverton Alpine Marathon &
        > 50k<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_035.htm>
        > Kendall Mountain
        > Run<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_029.htm>

      • Deb P
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
          Dang. Got my bear spray ready, just in case.
          Glad your guest was not injured.

          silvertonultras@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > After reading the last thread about sun and surf, I hope everyone believes
          > that I'm being serious here, because I am.
          >
          > We had a guest, just yesterday, who encountered a bear on the Arrastra jeep
          > road that leads up to Little Giant. It was about a mile up from the main
          > road where there's a fork in the road (to Silver Lake), which, by the way,
          > is part of the Hardrock course. As she was backing her car into a pullout
          > on
          > the side of the road a bear ran out of the woods and tried getting into her
          > car, with her still in it! This bear had absolutely no fear of humans
          > whatsoever and the paw prints are still on the car to prove it. She tried
          > her best to scare the bear off, by honking her horn and such, but to no
          > avail. She finally had to leave.
          >
          > The sheriff has been notified and they're extremely concerned about this.
          > In
          > all the years, they have never had a bear act this way.
          >
          > They are in the process of trying to locate this bear but nothing as of
          > yet.
          >
          > Rodger
          >
          > --
          > Rodger Wrublik
          >
          > *Silverton, Colorado*
          >
          > Silverton Special Events <http://www.silvertonspecialevents.com/>
          > Silverton 1000 & 6 Day <http://goog_1104176497>
          > Silverton Alpine Marathon &
          > 50k<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_035.htm>
          > Kendall Mountain
          > Run<http://silvertonspecialevents.com/silverton_special_events_029.htm>

        • Jon MacManus
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
            Everyone sees mountain lions at night as they approach the finish, as well
            as elephants and kangaroo's.