Re: [hr100] Sun and Surf

  • chris@chrisgerber.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
      I hear the locusts and tundra rattlesnakes are especially bad this year.

      Quoting Deb <mtnrunner02@...>:

      > That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks
      > A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal
      > stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that
      >
      > Sent from my iPod
      >
      > On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:
      >
      >> For all those coming up to the Hardrock course marking, the sun is up
      >> and so are the creeks.
      >>
      >> Bring sunscreen and high water waders.
      >>
      >> I'll see you in Silverton.
      >>
      >> Charlie

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
        And rabid marmots......

        Sent from my iPod

        On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:30 AM, chris@... wrote:

        > I hear the locusts and tundra rattlesnakes are especially bad this year.
        >
        > Quoting Deb <mtnrunner02@...>:
        >
        >> That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks
        >> A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that
        >>
        >> Sent from my iPod
        >>
        >> On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> For all those coming up to the Hardrock course marking, the sun is up
        >>> and so are the creeks.
        >>>
        >>> Bring sunscreen and high water waders.
        >>>
        >>> I'll see you in Silverton.
        >>>
        >>> Charlie

      • Fred Ecks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
          I saw something about four horsemen spotted atop Virginius a few days
          ago... They had a helluva time getting up that snowfield. :-)

          - Fred

          On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 10:30 -0600, chris@... wrote:

          > I hear the locusts and tundra rattlesnakes are especially bad this
          > year.
          >
          > Quoting Deb <mtnrunner02@...>:
          >
          > > That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks
          > > A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal
          > > stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPod
          > >
          > > On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > >> For all those coming up to the Hardrock course marking, the sun is
          > up
          > >> and so are the creeks.
          > >>
          > >> Bring sunscreen and high water waders.
          > >>
          > >> I'll see you in Silverton.
          > >>
          > >> Charlie

        • Deb
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
            That reminds me..... Did they ever catch that escaped serial killer outside of ouray. ?

            Sent from my iPod

            On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote:

            > I saw something about four horsemen spotted atop Virginius a few days
            > ago... They had a helluva time getting up that snowfield. :-)
            >
            > - Fred
            >
            > On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 10:30 -0600, chris@... wrote:
            > >
            > > I hear the locusts and tundra rattlesnakes are especially bad this
            > > year.
            > >
            > > Quoting Deb <mtnrunner02@...>:
            > >
            > > > That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks
            > > > A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal
            > > > stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that
            > > >
            > > > Sent from my iPod

            > > up

          • Chris Twiggs
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
              Nope. I'm still loose.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Deb <mtnrunner02@...> wrote:

              > That reminds me..... Did they ever catch that escaped serial killer outside of ouray. ?
              >
              > Sent from my iPod
              >
              > On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I saw something about four horsemen spotted atop Virginius a few days
              > > ago... They had a helluva time getting up that snowfield. :-)
              > >
              > > - Fred
              > >
              > > On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 10:30 -0600, chris@... wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I hear the locusts and tundra rattlesnakes are especially bad this
              > > > year.

              > > > up

            • Joe Lea
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
                No need to embellish... It's scary out there this year! I got bogged down in the snow just past Nellie Mine yesterday on the way up to Oscars and had to turn back. I should have known what was coming when the trail turned into a waterfall at one point.

                Snowshoes and crampons above 11k. Flippers and snorkel below 11k.

                joe lea
                chapel hill, nc
                twitter: @trailheadmarmot

                On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Deb <mtnrunner02@...> wrote:

                > That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks
                > A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that
                >
                > Sent from my iPod
                >
                > On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:
                >
                > > For all those coming up to the Hardrock course marking, the sun is up
                > > and so are the creeks.
                > >
                > > Bring sunscreen and high water waders.
                > >
                > > I'll see you in Silverton.
                > >
                > > Charlie

              • Andy Hewat
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
                  Keep 'em coming. It's enough to make me glad I'm out. Or enough to give a guy a bad heart! Except Roger, while disappointed not to be there I don't want anyone confronted by that bear!
                   Andy

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
                    To partially allay fears of some, the cornice/snow on Little Giant-Davies would appear to be almost melted out. There is still some decent patches of unconsolidated, sketchy snow covering the trail between the two saddles, a bit dangerous still, but I'd reckon it just may melt out within the next 10 days or so. Granted, after crossing the second saddle, it's 90% snow down to 11,500' where the lowest mine tailings are.

                    Similar observation on the course from Grants Swamp Pass down towards Ice Lakes....solid snow from pass to 11,500'.

                    On a meltier note, the woods between Kamm Traverse and Ice Lakes Trail are now about 60-70% melted out. Still some 4' drifts in there but shouldn't be a major obstacle in two weeks. Amazingly, still a few snow fingers on south facing Kamm Traverse. The snowfield covering South Mineral Rd just to the west of the Aid Station location will likely be melted out soon enough, if not plowed....wouldn't it be nice if there weren't camper traffic going back and forth on the road?

                    On a less
                    melty note, from treeline up in Porcupine Basin still appears to be 80% covered in snow, but that's an observation from afar.

                    It's warming up this week though after 3-4" of snow up high two days ago.

                    Steve
                    From: Joe Lea <joelea@...>

                    To: "hr100@yahoogroups.com" <hr100@yahoogroups.com>

                    Cc: "hr100@yahoogroups.com" <hr100@yahoogroups.com>

                    No need to embellish... It's scary out there this year! I got bogged down in the snow just past Nellie Mine yesterday on the way up to Oscars and had to turn back. I should have known what was coming when the trail turned into a waterfall at one point.

                    Snowshoes and crampons above 11k. Flippers and snorkel below 11k.

                    joe lea

                    chapel hill, nc

                    twitter: @trailheadmarmot

                    On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Deb <mtnrunner02@...> wrote:

                    > That's right Charlie..... Scare off a few more folks

                    > A little embellishment is ok too..... Like " potentially lethal stream crossings". Dangerously high water levels.... Stuff like that

                    > Sent from my iPod

                    > On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:

                    > > For all those coming up to the Hardrock course marking, the sun is up

                    > > and so are the creeks.

                    > > Bring sunscreen and high water waders.

                    > > I'll see you in Silverton.

                    > > Charlie

                  • Bob Combs
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
                      and there is always that high voltage possibility from above............