HRH course change

  • dale garland
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2001
      Hi everybody,
      Well guess the secret is out; the CEC is actually a covert cover group
      for all those runners who have lobbied John and Charlie for an easier
      HRH course!
      In a somewhat serious note, I appreciate all the interest and support
      that has been expressed for our dealing with the latest bureaucaratic
      challenge.Without a doubt the Colorado Environmental Coalition needs to
      hear from runners as to how we feel about wilderness and this proposed
      legislation. I would only ask that such comments be made after a permit
      to hold this years run has been issued by the Bureau of Land Management.
      The process that they are following is:
      The Environmental Assessment (EA) has been completed and is now being
      put in it's final form. Once that is done a permit to run the Hardrock
      may be issued contingent on no unfavorable public comment from
      environmental or political groups. The period for public comment is 45
      days once the permit has been issued. What does this all mean? Bottom
      line is that we are very close to resolving this issue in the short term
      (2001) and I know I speak for all of us when I say I don't want to
      jepoardize holding the run this July because someone lodged a negative
      public comment that the BLM must deal with before they put the final
      seal of approval on the permit.
      Is there a time for political action? Undoubtedly! Is that time the
      next 2 months? Definitely not. I'll be happy to keep this list posted as
      to where we are in the political process. so if you would, spend the
      next few weeks/months finely tuning that persuasive correspondence to
      your elected official.
      Thanks,
      Dale Garland
      RD, HRH