Fw: South Mineral, KT update

  • Lois MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2011
      Keep in Touch,

      LMac

      --- On Thu, 6/9/11, steve kral <stevekral@...> wrote:

      From: steve kral <stevekral@...>
      Subject: South Mineral, KT update
      To: "Lois MacKenzie" <skunkears@...>
      Date: Thursday, June 9, 2011, 6:36 PM

      Lois,

      Met a guy from Ouray this afternoon (Joe Sollett I believe) pounding stakes with Rodger. Said he was checking my snow report from last week and finds it more or less credible. He went up Grouse Gulch today a ways, melted out early, frozen snow, then soft snow. Also he ran down Cinnamon to American Creek which was starting to melt out near the road.

      Melting in South Mineral mixed. I was surprised to find road about 90% clear (from 50% last week). Close to melting out completely except the very deep snow field right by aid station. On the other hand, the short stretch of meadow going up from South Mineral Creek still had 40% snow cover (albeit not very deep).

      Still some pretty sketchy snow fingers on the KT (see pics) but we made it across. Was hoping the woods on other side would be frozen so going back down wouldn't be in the books, but alas it wasn't to be. Most of snow in the woods heading south from the traverse was pretty soft, sank up to my hips once and turned around. One pic shows a section actually melted out by sun, other snow of indeterminable depth.

      And of course you have comp pics of Porcupine Basin from a week ago.

      ByeSteve