Snow Pack Conditions

  • rgmackie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2011
      Earlier this week, much of the San Juans got the heaviest snowfall of the year. I believe the current snow pack is at its 2nd high level at this date (5/13) since HR began almost 20 years ago. The highest being in 1995 when the run was cancelled due to high snow pack, which was about 12% higher than today as measured at Red Mountain.

      However, there's a drier and warmer week ahead and it can quickly melt out. I don't know about HR's 6/1 date for reviewing conditions since the snow pack is bound to be above average then, but if history hold true, there's usually at least a week in June or the first week of July at the latest when the heat gets turned on high and there's a big melt-out in the high country.