Re: [hr100] course change?

  • Ulrich Kamm
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2001
      Hi Charlie,

      I have to leave in a minute. I don't know yet where the possibly "forbidden"
      area is. But there are so many mountains around Silverton - it shouldn't be
      too difficult to create a new HR course. If detailed planning of such a
      change, if it becomes necessary already for this year's race, wouldn't be
      possible, let's do a low key event with very few people -like in the "good
      old days", with map and compass and only vry few aid stations (crews). I'm
      sure you it would be a lot of fun for you to design a new course.

      We got our Green Card 3 weeks ago.

      In a hurry,
      Ulli

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2001

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2001
          --- Ulrich Kamm <ultrawalk@...> wrote:
          > Hi Charlie,
          >
          > I have to leave in a minute. I don't know yet where
          > the possibly "forbidden"
          > area is. But there are so many mountains around
          > Silverton - it shouldn't be
          > too difficult to create a new HR course. If detailed
          > planning of such a
          > change, if it becomes necessary already for this
          > year's race, wouldn't be
          > possible, let's do a low key event with very few
          > people -like in the "good
          > old days", with map and compass and only vry few aid
          > stations (crews). I'm
          > sure you it would be a lot of fun for you to design
          > a new course.

          It sounds like you're describing Nolan's 14.

          I think the new course through Grizzly Gulch is going
          to make the course faster (unfortunately). I climbed
          Handies from that side a few years ago. The descent
          is runnable all the way into Sherman.

          =====

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Rich Limacher
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2001
            Well, friends, I am finally convinced. Our friend and head
            of the all-volunteer Trailmarking Army, Gen. Chas. T. Thorn,
            USTA, is as literarily powerful as he is climbingly strong.
            His so-called "diatribe" is, in fact, a most distinguished
            literary essay, and I am personally just as proud to read it
            as I am to climb behind him.

            But let's not kid ourselves. This rhetoric is long overdue.
            And I'm hoping those of us with "the writing bent" aren't
            too late to start lobbying.

            The way *I* see it (**DISCLAIMER**/personal-opinion-only all
            over this e-mail) the way the Colorado Environmental
            Coalition sees it is that they think they'll make a better
            name for themselves by ridding the wilderness of EVERYTHING
            than they think will accrue to their credit for exempting a
            "nutcase" event like the Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run.
            Having witnessed tinpan politics for years and embittered
            years as a local newspaper reporter, I've now reached a
            point where the mere mention of ANY newly elected or
            appointed political entity makes me want to puke. I think I
            know (in my non-humble opinion) the petty motive that drives
            these demigods, and I don't like it. In the end (also in my
            opinion) the work they do accrues only to their own benefit,
            and the common good be damned.

            In my opinion, any newly designated Wilderness Area amounts
            to a latter-day setting aside of an Indian reservation--and
            look at the enriched landscapes THEY've been given. Yes, I
            agree with Charlie that setting land like this aside is GOOD
            for the land. And frankly, when I see all the ruins and
            mine dumps and rusted junk our forefathers littered the San
            Juans with, I'm thankful silver mining has not continued. I
            believe, to paraphrase Lincoln, it is the lesser angels of
            our nature causing us to pollute our planet (but always in
            the name of "progress"); and all you need do is join
            Charlie's Army to see the job our grand- and
            great-grandpappies did to unleash their angels all over our
            nature.

            Here's an idea. Why doesn't the CEC *clean up* the place
            FIRST, and THEN declare it "off limits"? I'd pay good money
            to watch some cig-smoking politico lugging down a rusted ore
            cart from the abandoned Buffalo Boy Mine.

            I have a private theory. I'm thinking that Mars was once a
            vastly thriving civilization, whose inhabitants--in the name
            of "progress" certainly--poisoned their entire planet
            umpteen billion years ago. We see now what is left.
            Personally, I'd like not to leave our Earth in quite the
            same way. So, it is indeed good to preserve as much of the
            Wilderness as we possibly can.

            On the other hand, who are we preserving it for?

            If the ecological zealots don't want NOBODY trodding on
            their precious tracts, who's gonna see our birds and our
            bees? Or, how 'bout our elk and our moose? I say, if our
            Wilderness is ever to be appreciated and thereby preserved,
            we hikers and climbers had better be allowed to plod there.
            If it weren't for us, or Charlie and his panoramic camera,
            who would ever even know what is in fact being preserved?
            Do you think the politicians who rule as part of these
            committees and panels and coalitions and things EVER HIKE
            ANYWHERE??? I don't. I think they think they're protecting
            our environment by driving carbon monoxide-spewing Jeeps.

            And I would challenge every one of THEM (just as I used to
            demand access to every record in village halls citing the
            "Freedom of Information Act") to follow any of *us* and
            prove to any congress anywhere that WE are the cause of ANY
            damage whatsoever being done to their declared "Wilderness."

            --We don't shoot. (Except cameras.)
            --We don't bate-and-hook. (Except maybe wide-eyed naive
            post-marathon runners, such as the formerly huffy author of
            the piece you're reading right here.)
            --We don't trap. (Except maybe by omitting a couple trail
            markers now and then... :)
            --We don't remove samples for display cases or do taxidermy
            on any live thing for our "living" rooms. (Except maybe for
            the just-stuffed author of this thing here, who's now on
            display for his bride in his den. :)
            --We don't leave anything behind. (Except maybe a few swear
            words, and those are all aural--not carved or spray-painted
            onto the landscape.)
            --And we don't allow *just anyone* to do this. (The HRH
            organizers, however, might possibly have overlooked this
            principle by admitting yours truly. :)

            But the argument is always: "If we make an exception in
            YOUR case, we'll have to make exceptions in ALL cases."

            To which I submit: Not so! Says who? I allow as to how it
            is perfectly in keeping with keeping the Wilderness wild to
            allow wild folks like us to frolic there. It is my belief
            that ANYONE should be allowed to be wild in the Wilderness,
            provided they all do everything that's itemized two
            paragraphs above. No exceptions. If you don't shoot, fish,
            trap, kill, take, or leave anything, you and your qualified
            runners, hikers, and climbers ought to be free to move about
            the country.

            Is there anyone who wants to argue with this?

            You bet there is. They're called politicians. And if they
            owe favors to people who don't like us "running around all
            night in our underwear," and if *those* are the people who
            appointed or elected them or GAVE THEM MONEY to "help their
            campaigns" in the first place, who do you think is going to
            lose this fight?

            Frankly, I hope it doesn't happen; but I'm afraid, in the
            end, that it will. To borrow another line from Jim
            Morrison, "they got the guns, but we got the numbers." And
            *they* will win UNLESS we show them our numbers.

            If everyone reading this will write just ONE letter to a
            Congressman (or, of course, Congresswoman), our message
            might just have a chance of getting through. Why? Because
            Congress, and Colorado, will think that WE control more
            votes than this aforementioned "they" do.

            I, for one, have always believed in the power of words.
            Look at how many of 'em I just got YOU to read!

            Yes, in this case, the cathode ray tube is indeed mightier
            than the caucus. And our cards and letters to
            our--supposedly, so far--democratic representative
            government will do more good in the end than all the
            high-minded edicts, favors owed, and bribes received under
            the table can ever hope to accomplish by stopping the
            Hardrock Run.

            Does anyone remember a couple years back when nOrm & bOard
            urged everyone to write their Congresspeople in order to
            save No Hands Bridge? Well? Guess what. A whole lot of us
            did write and, last I heard, that bridge is still there.
            (I'll tell you for sure after I run Western States this
            summer.)

            So now let me take Charlie's place on the soapbox. Do NOT
            take this stuff lightly. If you or your children *ever*
            hope to run Hardrock, write NOW.

            Actually, you know what might be easier? Let's all "do
            tanning" and declare ourselves the Silverfeet Tribe. We'll
            petition the Bureau of Indian Affairs. We'll cite broken
            treaties (or hypocritical edicts). We'll crawl across these
            mountains on Wounded Knees. And who knows? They might just
            think the land is worthless and give it to us. We'll call
            our place: "The Thorn Reservation."

            Rich Limacher
            TheTroubadour@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2001
              Here ?hear? ! Sonny boy;
              You is certainly coming of age ! But I just don't get it, you are suddenly
              older than your dear old Ma. How does that work ? Will I be able to catch
              back up in June ? Will you wait for me ? If I send a letter to a politico ?
              I am one of the great procrastinators, but I promise i'll do it.
              will I see you at Zane Grey? Do you remember your ol' ma ?

              Ginny La Forme rlaforme@...
              325 Onate St. 505-753-3291
              Espanola, NM 87532 505-753-8340
            • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2001
                Sorry,
                meant to send that to Rich, not the group.

                Ginny La Forme rlaforme@...
                325 Onate St. 505-753-3291
                Espanola, NM 87532 505-753-8340
              • robert boeder
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2001
                  What the hell is this all about?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 9, 2001
                    Aw, hell, Bob... it's just a "joke"!!!

                    :-)

                    [Explanation follows, but, as with every joke, once you've
                    explained it, you've killed the humor. Let that serve as a
                    *CAUTION* and *WARNING*. If you do not wish to subject
                    yourself to such unreasonable, long-winded explanation, stop
                    reading now. :-]

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 9, 2001
                      Rich, You're killing me.* I need to stop laughing and get back to work. See
                      you at ZG! /TC

                      *WARNING. This is a joke. My actual risk of death from reading your post is
                      <0.0000000000001256334.