THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 43)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2011
      [Welcome to a late--a VERY late--edition of Positivity Wednesday. My
      telephone interview for today fell through--making this a somewhat LESS than
      Positive Wednesday--but we are nothing if not eternal optimists, eh?
      Otherwise, what the hell would we be doing running ultramarathons? It takes
      a certain amount of "believing we could still float in a tsunami" to be
      daring enough to enter footraces designed to take up considerable chunks of
      our adult lives. Ya think? And speaking of optimists, I know of none
      blinder nor more eternal than today's TMIMITW honoree :) Ray "the K"
      Krolewicz. And thanks, BTW, to John Nevels for nominating him!]

      His true age needs to be carbon-dated, but he can still outsprint and
      outlast a sizeable chunk of today's running public.

      To give some idea of his toughness, his last household pet was more
      accurately renamed by paleontologists as not "Rex" but "Tyrannosaurus Rex."

      He has been known to beat all the dinosaurs in footraces, as well as all the
      mammals, and every once in awhile he can even beat Christian.

      And his wit and wisdom is daily sought after by the rest of the herd.

      His training methods have been downloaded and abandoned by half the running
      population of the known world. Everyone realizes no one could possibly
      survive the regimen he has always espoused.

      His running résumé takes three reams of paper to completely print out.

      He won his first race while still in the womb. It was a "sack race" with
      his mother at the family picnic, and he--again happily--supplied the sack.

      He has, in fact, won more ultramarathons than any other American runner
      alive today.

      Not only has he outrun all his competitors, he's outlived them.

      And in addition, because he is so intensely involved with auto racing,
      occasionally he agrees to race on foot while his stiff competition roars
      along the road in nitro-fueled, turbo-charged, chrome-plated caskets--with
      racing stripes.

      He is *always* so happy, he has been known to sing at the top of his lungs
      during the worst weather amidst the deepest jungles of The Barkley
      Marathons.

      The jury is still out, though, as to whether he was singing for joy or
      signaling for help. But most tend to agree that the former is the truer
      possibility.

      He is THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD.

      "I don't always reveal my secrets to just anyone (but when I do, I prefer
      you not to do any research). Stay within your parentheses, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://tinyurl.com/DosEquisAd
      [and thanks to UltraJohn Price--who is now doing a "solo run" across the
      entire country--for supplying this in place of that former long and
      always-broken hyperlink]

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      "Your friendly neighborly 800-year-old lute-plucking song-and-dance man from
      France" (but not nearly as old as Ray the K ;-).

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      History hasn't taken much notice of this, but long before auto racing came
      into vogue Centurion Krolewicz used to race chariots.