Hardrock - a note concerning the wait list

  • Blake P. Wood
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
      Judging from the emails we've received, there is a lot of confusion about what NOT appearing on the Hardrock wait list means. This note hopefully will clarify the situation.

      In the past we kept pulling names in our lottery until the bitter end, so that all qualified applicants who did not get in appeared on the wait list. This year, facing 600 applicants, we elected to only pull 100 names for the wait list. Considering that in recent years we've gone less than 30-deep on the wait list, we felt this was enough, and it saved us hours of work on Superbowl Sunday.

      If you were a qualified applicant and did not get in, you WILL be considered a wait lister for purposes of allocating tickets next year, whether or not you appear on the wait list.

      We have placed a list of applicants who made neither the entry nor wait list on our web page at http://hardrock100.com/hardrock_2011_not_selected_020611.pdf On this list, we also show how many tickets each of these applicants had in the lottery. We do this to make the point that many, many long-time Hardrockers did not get in - again, the result of running a statistically fair lottery where we had about 550 runners chasing after about 100 slots. Believe me, that hurts - there are many good friends on that list!

      We received 33 "Standard IV" applications, that is, applications from runners who hadn't done a qualifier but who were petitioning to get into the lottery anyway. In the majority of cases, we accepted these from foreigners (who don't have easy access to our qualifying races) if they had run other 100 mile trail races. However, we rejected most of those from North American applicants, since there were 570 other runners who HAD gone to the trouble and expense of doing a qualifier. If you sent us a Standard IV application, and do not appear on any of the three lists at http://hardrock.com, your application was rejected and you will be hearing from the RD to explain why. Let me emphasize that this is NOT a judgement of your ability as an ultrarunner - many of the rejected applications were from very good runners.

      - Blake

      Blake P. Wood
      Air Force Systems Design and Assessment, Group XTD-5, MS-T085
      Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos NM 87545
      office/STE: (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-1231 bwood@...
    • Mauricio Herrera Cuadra
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
        Blake,

        I don't know if I'm the only case for this but, I appear in this list with only
        1 ticket for the lottery when I should have had 2 tickets (I was waitlisted last
        year!). It seems to me like there was some confusion with my name or the
        question in the HR entry form that reads "HAVE YOU EVER SUBMITTED AN ENTRY FORM
        TO HARDROCK HUNDRED BEFORE?" and where I answered "YES" wasn't considered at
        all.

        I know the lottery results are already out and that there has been a bunch of
        discussion about the HR entry process, but it really saddens me to know that my
        already poor (18.7%) chances of being selected were cut in half (9.8%) due to
        some administrative (human) error. I think it would be fair to publish (or
        notify each runner) the amount of allocated tickets a few days prior to the
        lottery so any confusion could be resolved and people felt a little bit more
        satisfied with the process.

        Just my 0.02 cents.

        Regards,
        Mauricio.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2011
          i agree with maurico i think the number of tickets each runner will get in the
          lottery should be published along with their name on the applicants list posted
          on the website prior to the lottery. everyone makes mistakes but there's usually
          ways to minimize the likelihood. and as someone who waited through 7 years of
          applying to the lottery to finally get chosen on super sunday i have wondered in
          the past if i had been granted the right number tickets but i never had a way to
          verify.

          that said i do believe the hardrock inner circle aka board/staff does a great
          job handling a tough situation (high demand for a very limited number of
          entries) and i trust that they try to be fair and accurate in all that they do.

          thanks everyone and i'm so very excited to finally run this race, my favorite
          race ever, with knowing from from day one that i'm in(the only two times i've
          ran the race i got in off the waitlist--once the day before and they other time
          about three weeks before).

          james "7th time is the charm" varner
          Rainshadow Running 2011 Race Schedule
          www.rainshadowrunning.com

          Feb 5 Orcas Island 50k/25k Eastsound, WA (SOLD OUT)
          Mar 12 Gorge Waterfalls 50k Cascade Locks, OR
          Apr 3 Yakima Skyline Rim 50k/25k Ellensburg, WA
          May 22 Sun Mountain 50m/50k/25k/1k Winthrop, WA
          Jun 12 Beacon Rock 50k/25k N. Bonneville, WA
          Jun 25 Cle Elum Ridge 50k/25k Cle Elum, WA
          Aug 13 Angels Staircase 50m/50k/25k Carlton, WA
          Sept 18 North Cascades PCT 100k/50k Mazama, WA
          Sept 25 Winthrop Road Marathon Winthrop, WA
          Oct 8 Mt Spokane 50k/25k Spokane, WA
          Nov 26 Christmas at the End of the Road 5k/1k Winthrop, WA
          Dec 10 Deception Pass 50k/25k Oak Harbor, WA