Re: [hr100] Length of Hardrock Wait List and how many might get in from it

  • Bruce Grant
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
      Thanks for these and the pre-lottery numbers, Blake! They answered many
      questions.

      For anyone who wasn't there, note that 2008 was an anomaly year, with #99
      getting in unexpectedly on race morning when a runner who checked-in on
      Thursday failed to appear on day-of-race morning (the runner was camping and
      his car got blocked in my someone else and he couldn't get out, so he showed
      up late...Dale, being the awesome guy he is, let the racer run anyways). The
      waitlist was in "normal" territory prior to that, although I don't know the
      exact number it stood at.

      Regardless, it goes to show that no matter where you are on the waitlist,
      sometimes it is worth being in Silverton with your shoes on race morning,
      because you never know what may happen. Maybe your husband will give up his
      spot to let you run instead.... ;-)

      Congrats to everyone who got in, or will get in.
      Many thanks to the Board for conducting the lottery with such clearly
      defined rules, and sticking by them.
      The tweets were great to see the results almost real-time, Andrea!

      Bruce

    • Twiggsc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
        Blake,
        The entire population of the US is already waiting to do Hardrock; they just don't realize it yet.

        My favorite line about HR100 comes from you: (paraphrased) How could this not be normal - all my friends are doing it!

        I really look forward to seeing all my friends again in Silverton!

        Chris
        Forced to run on the beach because the only mountains in Florida are at Disney (Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain)

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
          Well the entry rate from Oz has grown exponentially as well (7 in the lottery this year) so you might need to add a few to your projected growth figures Blake. But, um, err, seems only one aussie can get in with any regularity so he better carry that flag all the way to the rock again!
          See you all in July again.Andy

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2011
            Blake, having made that projection, how many will then get in off the
            wait list? It looks like fractions of a single runner will make it
            in. Homeopathic runners? The less there is the greater the effect?
            Higher finishing place for the lesser part of a runner?
            Steve-o

            Stevan Pattillo
            Research Technician
            MST-7
            Los Alamos National Laboratory
            505-665-7423

            Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus -