THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 38)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2011
      [Today's Positivity Wednesday is going to break ranks a little, and serve up
      some honor instead for a recently-departed "hero-should-be" to all of us:
      Jack LaLanne. Mr. LaLanne passed away last week (Sunday, January 23rd) at
      age 96. We should all be so lucky, huh? In any event, of all the "old
      timers" that we all ought to honor due to their health and fitness
      pioneering, Jack LaLanne must certainly occupy a position near the top of
      the list. Others meriting our imitation and thanks would surely also
      include Ted Corbitt and Walt Stack. But for the moment, let's tip our
      tuques and/or running caps to "The Man" who practically single-handedly
      turned a tide of post-World-War-II ease, fat, and complacency toward health
      consciousness, better habits, and more exercise. And he'd already started
      this back in the 1930s! In the '50s he began promoting health and fitness
      on television, something he continued (most recently hawking his "juicer" on
      late-night infomercials) right up until the day he died. Here are a few
      sites touting his life that might be worth gawking at on your own:
      http://www.biography.com/articles/Jack-LaLanne-273648;
      http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/ESQ0804-AUG_WIL;
      http://www.jacklalanne.com/.
      Pretty damn awesome TMIMITW if y'all ask me!]

      He WAS "The Godfather of Fitness," no question. When everyone else was
      sitting on benches, waiting for busses, and buying couches at the furniture
      store, he was owning and operating the very first "gym" in America.

      When he was 40, he swam the length of the Golden Gate Bridge underwater,
      carrying 140 pounds of equipment.

      He won the bodybuilding title "Mr. America" almost before Arnold
      Schwarzenegger was born; and when he died, at age 96, he was in better
      shape.

      He once established a new world record by doing 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes.
      That was in 1956, just shortly after the narrator of this series was born;
      and when he died, at age 96, he is STILL in better shape--ten days later!

      He gave up all sweets as a teenager and was among the first adults to point
      out the folly of eating dairy foods. "Am I a suckling calf?" he once asked.
      "No other creature uses milk after they wean." After he pronounced that,
      the entire State of Wisconsin was plunged into recession.

      His exercise TV show ran every single weekday from 1951 to 1985. In this
      respect, he did better than "Wide World of Sports" and "Monday Night
      Football" combined.

      At age 70, he swam a 1.5-mile section of Long Beach Harbor towing 70 people
      in 70 boats--and swimming all of it whilst shackled and handcuffed. These
      feats, by the way, need no writer's embellishments.

      Talk about speedhiking the distance to Mars, HE swam it! (That might've
      been an embellishment.)

      He was given his own "star" on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, he was inducted
      into the Muscle Beach Venice Bodybuilding Hall of Fame, and he won some kind
      of Lifetime Achievement Award from some former President and his Council on
      Physical Fitness and Sports.

      He basically died because, as might easily be imagined, he simply ran out of
      breath.

      He was THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD.

      "I don't always outrun my lungs or VO-max; but when I do, I prefer a
      rowboat-shaped coffin with a racing stripe. Stay alive, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://tinyurl.com/DosEquisAd
      [and thanks to UltraJohn Price for supplying this in place of that former
      long and always-broken hyperlink]

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["that unfriendly non-neighborly 800-year-old lute-plucking snow-shoveler
      from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      We've already dys-cussed this.