THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 36)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2011
      [Happy Positivity Wednesday to won and awl! So, in keeping with the current
      theme of Better/Worser Half running couples, today's offering is yet another
      Worse. He doesn't think I have the chutzpah to do this, but I do. He is my
      old (and getting older: check the pic!) buddy Mike Bur, now honeymooning in
      Hawaii after finishing 100K of H.U.R.T., relatively UNhurt. Perhaps TOO
      unhurt! And so we must hasten to add: his reasons for DNF'ing might just
      seem suspect once y'all get a load of next week's Better Half! But for now,
      here is the goodly peace-loving born-too-late-to-be-a-hippie Dr. Bur:
      http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2418586000045119137ctJLwO
      And here is something of his credentials:
      http://www.athlinks.com/myresultsadv.aspx?rid=54699463
      Not shown of course are his twenty zillion hours of volunteer work,
      especially with the Virginia Happy Trails Running Club, for which he's
      served at least two terms as president. Good trick, huh? Running a
      Virginia club from Maryland? But that's politics! And for *that*, he
      probably DOESN'T deserve to be today's TMIMITW, but what the hell? He's a
      newlywed!! ;]

      He's been "The Saturday Mourning D.J." for the annual Massanutten Mountain
      100-Mile Trail Run ever since anyone can remember. His heaped rax of stax
      of hot Jack's wax batter-splatters the platter by beginning spinning at 3
      AM. No one, but NO ONE, oversleeps. The race always starts with a full
      field of runners, most of whom are actually awake.

      He has not been known to sing, however. And for that reason alone, his
      popularity at MMT has risen progressively beyond the stratosphere.

      His running résumé speaks for itself. And now, without further ado, we'd
      like to introduce that résumé and bring it up to the podium.

      He is a multi-time finisher of the Hardrock Hundred. That all by itself
      qualifies him for contemporary heroic stature, like Ulysses, like every high
      school kid in America is loathe to have to read about.

      But because he is such an inventor, innovator, gentleman and scholar, his
      Hardrock exploits have bypassed the printed page and gone directly to
      DVD--or Kindle--thereby redeeming himself all throughout America's high
      schools.

      He is known to welcome sudden houseguests from as far away as Pluto, or
      Illinois. And he expects them to be able to figure out how to get there, so
      he gives everyone credit for impossible trailwise intelligence and simply
      foregoes the providing of anything even as remotely cipherable as Official
      Barkley Instructions.

      He is also known far and wide as an accomplished motorcycle rider. His
      classic BMW now sits enshrined under his front porch. Once he roared on its
      back all the way to downtown Silver Spring, ran a blazingly fast 10K, and
      then rode it back to where it now sits under the porch.

      He also, by the way, had ridden it to Mars, thereby beating all the
      speedhikers who were then duking it out to be first to get there.

      In this fashion, he out-raced everyone simply by using available new
      technology--in approximately the same fashion that Indiana Jones once pulled
      out his pistol and shot those crazy Arabs who were threatening him with
      sabers, scimitars, and bullwhips.

      He still holds a legitimate claim as "the world's longest hold-out bachelor
      EVER." He managed to wed while still being The Most Interesting but not yet
      The Most Admitted--to convalescent homes.

      He is The Most Interesting Man In The World.

      "I don't always get married at the last minute; but when I do, I prefer a
      much Better Half. Stay honeymooning, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://tinyurl.com/DosEquisAd
      [and my thanks to UltraJohn Price for supplying this in place of that former
      long and always-broken hyperlink]

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["that 800-year-old lute-plucking stale-ale-swilling song-and-dance seeming
      swindler from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      The H.U.R.T. is a one hundred MILE footrace. There is no "hundred K
      bailout." There is no quitting there. There is simply no excuse! We
      demand a re-run!!