THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 33)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2010
      ["Positivity Wednesday" has just become more positive! We now learn from
      Dan Brannen that none other than my "old buddy" Barney Klecker is the
      American Ultrarunning Association's 2010 inductee into the American Ultra
      Hall of Fame. Wow! See it here:
      www.americanultra.org
      And a good listing of both his and his wife's still-standing American
      ultra-distance records can be found here:
      http://www.americanultra.org/statistics/statframeset.htm
      And the reason why I can possibly have the chutzpah to say "old buddy" (he's
      actually younger than me :) is because I've written about him quite a bit
      (see Marathon & Beyond, most recently for May/June 2010 and earlier for
      March/April 2001--good pics of him in both issues!) and we're now on each
      other's Christmas card lists (sort of). Not only that, but I also know
      where he is! And so, if y'all wanna also send Barney a note of
      congratulations, the clever among you might find him here:
      http://www.normandale.edu/index.cfm
      No matter what, FOR SURE, Barney Klecker is today's TMIM/WITW.]

      He is the only American runner for whom the 50-mile footrace is a
      windsprint.

      In less time than most runners would consider a very fast marathon, he
      finishes 50Ks.

      In less time than most runners would consider a very fast 50K, he finishes
      50Ms.

      His entire consumption of liquid replenishment during his famous 50-mile
      once-world-record run was four whole and entire ounces of lukewarm Dr.
      Pepper.

      Porta-potties are unnecessary for his ultra-long footraces. For the few
      minutes he's out there, he can hold it.

      He is, and always has been, the male art/life model for "The Flash" comic
      book character.

      He often accepts guest speaking engagements, and is able to deliver his
      words to the ears of all audience members before they even get there.

      Once, to cool the city during a particularly hot summer, they asked him to
      run repeat 400-meters on the high school track all summer. This created a
      great uplifting fanning effect, and the city fathers were pleased.

      His greatest asset is his wife, an American record-holder herself, and their
      greatest accomplishments, they say, are their children--who have chosen
      their parents very very carefully and will now proceed to grow up and smash
      every single running world record on the books.

      The two previously mentioned latter-day speed-hikers to Mars found, when
      they got there, that he'd already been, AND had also orbited the solar
      system twice--entirely on foot and drinking, for both sojourns, less than
      one water bottle full of Diet (this time) Dr. Pepper.

      He is The Most Interesting Man In The World.

      "I don't always set records; but when I don't, I prefer that my better half
      do. Stay married, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/
      [you'll need to click on 3 "thingies" to establish that you're over age 21
      :-|]

      Also here:

      http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/06/dos-equis-ad-campaign-the-most-interesting
      -man-in-the-world-video
      [if this link is broken, as it seemingly always is, you can copy-and-paste
      it all into your browser]

      And look at THESE!

      http://purplejesus.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dosequisman.jpg
      http://www.acrosstheyears.com/cgi-bin/closeup.cgi?rid=198
      [should Don Winkley be next? :-]

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["your friendly neighborly 800-year-old lute plucker from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      It is of course incredible, but *all* AUA webpages--and most *official*
      other recordkeeping sites that we see today--have all somehow managed to
      misspell Barney Klecker's lovely wife's name. It's Janis NOT "Janice"!!