THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 30)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      [Welcome again to not only "Positivity Wednesday" but also--later at
      sundown--"Happy Hanukkah!" Last week I received yet another nomination for
      another honoree, from no less a sweet personage than Cathy Henn--the loving,
      longsuffering ;-) spouse of our infamous "Raw Dog"--who's "out there"
      every year at The Barkley. She also gave us "Danger Dave" and now she'd
      like to see none other than Frozen Ed Furtaw subjected to my "treatment."

      [Frozen Ed--his nickname comes from "Frozen Head" State Park--is not only a
      fixture, but an icon, AND a historian like no other. Did y'all know that it
      was HE who first finished a Barkley? Of course, back when he did it, the
      course was pretty short--REAL SHORT. In fact, it was never thought of from
      the beginning as being a 100-miler. No, that came later. Ed's also an
      author, and you can now read about all of that, and all of this, here in his
      book:
      https://www.createspace.com/3427508
      (but you'll have to send in a little money first)
      Also here:
      http://barkleymarathons.homestead.com/index.html
      (you can also click on his book icon here)
      And there's quite a bit of info and Frozen Ed lore here, too:
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/index.html
      All in all, a very VERY deserving TMIMITW, as well as being my good friend.]

      He is the most famous historian who ever lived. Before Plutarch wrote his
      famous history of the Roman Empire, in fact, he had consulted with him just
      to make sure he had all the stats straight.

      Did Julius Caesar actually make one or two full loops across the Rubicon?
      He knew the answer. He even attested to Plutarch as to how old Julius
      actually followed all the instructions, and never got lost--except for a few
      times.

      Later historians have since come to him most recently to inquire about,
      actually, "how DID old Julius get an entry into The Barkley?" He refers
      them all to Lazarus, who was unfortunately dead at the time, and so the
      secret's been kept safe.

      He is no stranger to athletic achievement himself. Once he single-handedly
      actually Jones-Counter wheeled not only the entire Barkley course, but
      provided volunteer land surveying services for Morgan County, Tennessee,
      besides.

      And he did all of that before his sweet longsuffering bride had breakfast
      cooking on the campfire.

      He has been known to wear the most outlandish outfits, climb the most
      outlandish lands, and leave all the other land-lubbing competitors out on a
      limb. Even at an age of about two thousand years, he is hard to keep up
      with.

      He routinely passes and "buries" younger runners of around 800 years.

      Once he even passed David Horton during his world-record-breaking speed hike
      to Mars.

      If ever a more cheerful champion double-decacentenarian has mastered the
      modern endurance trail run, none such is known. He has, and has always had,
      the trophy-winning prowess of that particular age-group all monopolized unto
      himself.

      He is The Most Interesting Man In The World.

      "I don't always record records of everything; but when I do, I prefer vinyl.
      Stay locomotioning, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/06/doe-equis-ad-campaign-the-most-interesting
      -man-in-the-world-video

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["that 800-year-old, square-dancing, folk-singing, Dylan-imitating,
      hotel-owning lute plucker from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      Anybody have any clue as to just how far out we are from Lazarus Saturday?