Training For Hardrock

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2001
      Dana Rouche, commenting on a post from Matt Mahoney said,

      ".....There is no mystery here, if you want to do well at Hardrock or
      Nolan's 14, then mimic the race in training like you would do with any
      other race. In the case of these two races, high altitude hiking will
      serve you well because that is exactly what you will be doing on race day."

      I agree there is no mystery about training for Hardrock. That (and the
      free slave labor toting all the course markers) is why we encourage
      Hardrock runners to participate in the course marking during the two weeks
      before the run. Talented, well trained, sea level runners have and will
      continue to finish Hardrock. (Many of the same have and will end their
      attempt very early.) Folks like Dave Horton cannot go as slow as the
      course markers but still spend many hours per day at altitude, running and
      climbing at the expected run intensity. For them and us mortals, a couple
      of weeks of walking on the course for 8-10 hours per day will greatly
      inprove our chances for enjoying the finish. And that is exactly the
      strategy Team NM will use to collect from Team TX. Pizza is required,
      socks are optional.

      Charlie Thorn
      Los Alamos, NM