Re: [hr100] Registration and Lottery Odds

  • Steve Kral
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
      They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one ticket taken away for each such occurrence....
      stevekral
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
        As I understand it now, dnf's get no extra tickets compared to wait listers who get one. Further penalizing dnf'ers would be a controversial board decision to say the least. We all start HR100 with the intention of finishing, which I don't believe is the case in some other ultras. I choose not to second-guess anyone who decides to drop, and I certainly would not wish to take away tickets they had earned through other finishes or other wait list experiences.

        (Autofill wanted wait listers to be wait lusters, which I now propose become their official designation.)

        Chris from flat Florida

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Steve Kral <bvstablemail@...> wrote:

        > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one ticket taken away for each such occurrence....
        > stevekral

      • james varner
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
          i like that idea steve(even though that would cost me a ticket) and how about
          requiring volunteering at a hardrock aid station or pacing(50miles) at hardrock
          atleast once in the past 5 years to get in the lottery-- this would help to
          eliminate those who aren't truly committed and would better prepare the possible
          entrants for the unique challenges of the race resulting in a higher finisher
          rate.

          james varnerRainshadow Running
          www.rainshadowrunning.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
            that's one of the best spell check recommendations I've seen in quite
            awhile. I agree..
            wait lusters! ha!!

            On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Chris Twiggs <Twiggsc@...> wrote:

            > As I understand it now, dnf's get no extra tickets compared to wait listers
            > who get one. Further penalizing dnf'ers would be a controversial board
            > decision to say the least. We all start HR100 with the intention of
            > finishing, which I don't believe is the case in some other ultras. I choose
            > not to second-guess anyone who decides to drop, and I certainly would not
            > wish to take away tickets they had earned through other finishes or other
            > wait list experiences.
            >
            > (Autofill wanted wait listers to be wait lusters, which I now propose
            > become their official designation.)
            >
            > Chris from flat Florida
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >

            > On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Steve Kral <bvstablemail@...<bvstablemail%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one
            > ticket taken away for each such occurrence....
            > > stevekral
            > > --- On Thu, 10/21/10, David Clark <irishsailsman@...<irishsailsman%40comcast.net>>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > From: David Clark <irishsailsman@...<irishsailsman%40comcast.net>
            > >
            > > Subject: [hr100] Registration and Lottery Odds
            > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com <hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 6:03 PM
            > >

            > > Does anyone have any information on when we will be able to submit an
            > application for lottery?
            > >
            > > Also- historically, what are the odds of actually getting in?
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > David Clark
            > >
            > > Max Muscle Sports Nutrition
            > >
            > > Longmont
            > >
            > > (C) 720-275-2197
            > >
            > > -Outreach Manager
            > >
            > > -NESTA Certified Sports Nutrition Coach
            > >
            > > -RRCA Certified Running Coach
            > >
            > > - Sent from my iPhone

          • Steve Kral
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
              Chris,
              I'm not sure who makes up your 'we all' group, but I once heard a Hardrock runner first hand discuss starting with no intent to finish. Had something to do with being old and not caring how many years younger runners with more opportunities had to wait.
              James,
              Nice idea also, but would be quite beyond one's control if he/she came to Hardrock to pace 50 miles and the runner dropped. Still, in any given year, quite a few runners are out there without pacers...maybe they don't want one!steve

            • tedes12@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
                Man after doing Hardrock one time I see what the fuss is all about!!! It is truly a one-of-a-kind ultra. I hope I make it in a second year.

                Have you ever heard of anyone running both Hardrock and Badwater in the same year. If so did they finish either or both?
                Terry Sentinella
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                that's one of the best spell check recommendations I've seen in quite
                awhile. I agree..
                wait lusters! ha!!

                On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Chris Twiggs <Twiggsc@...> wrote:

                > As I understand it now, dnf's get no extra tickets compared to wait listers
                > who get one. Further penalizing dnf'ers would be a controversial board
                > decision to say the least. We all start HR100 with the intention of
                > finishing, which I don't believe is the case in some other ultras. I choose
                > not to second-guess anyone who decides to drop, and I certainly would not
                > wish to take away tickets they had earned through other finishes or other
                > wait list experiences.
                >
                > (Autofill wanted wait listers to be wait lusters, which I now propose
                > become their official designation.)
                >
                > Chris from flat Florida
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >

                > On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Steve Kral <bvstablemail@...<bvstablemail%40yahoo.com>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one
                > ticket taken away for each such occurrence....
                > > stevekral
                > > --- On Thu, 10/21/10, David Clark <irishsailsman@...<irishsailsman%40comcast.net>>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > From: David Clark <irishsailsman@...<irishsailsman%40comcast.net>
                > >
                > > Subject: [hr100] Registration and Lottery Odds
                > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com <hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 6:03 PM
                > >

                > > Does anyone have any information on when we will be able to submit an
                > application for lottery?
                > >
                > > Also- historically, what are the odds of actually getting in?
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > David Clark
                > >
                > > Max Muscle Sports Nutrition
                > >
                > > Longmont
                > >
                > > (C) 720-275-2197
                > >
                > > -Outreach Manager
                > >
                > > -NESTA Certified Sports Nutrition Coach
                > >
                > > -RRCA Certified Running Coach
                > >
                > > - Sent from my iPhone

              • Chris Twiggs
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
                  I am very surprised to hear that, Steve. I have never heard such a comment from any hardrocker. The oldest of them all, John DeWalt, chose not to come this year because he was sick and knew he'd likely not finish. Please don't reveal the name of the SOB you overheard. I hold all who have started HR in high esteem whether they finished or not, and I want nothing to tarnish that.

                  Chris

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • Chris Twiggs
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
                    Joe Prusaitis did it.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:13 PM, tedes12@... wrote:

                    > Man after doing Hardrock one time I see what the fuss is all about!!! It is truly a one-of-a-kind ultra. I hope I make it in a second year.
                    >
                    > Have you ever heard of anyone running both Hardrock and Badwater in the same year. If so did they finish either or both?
                    > Terry Sentinella
                    > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  • Chris Twiggs
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 21, 2010
                      I remember telling Joe that BW seemed like the exact opposite of what I love about HR. He said, "It is. That's part of the challenge.". That was the moment I started thinking about BW. However, I can't see giving up HR, so if I ever do it, it will have to be a double.

                      Chris

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                        james varner wrote:
                        > i like that idea steve(even though that would cost me a ticket) and how
                        >about requiring volunteering at a hardrock aid station or pacing(50miles) at
                        >hardrock
                        atleast once in the past 5 years to get in the lottery

                        Here is a better idea. How about not allowing pacers? That way the race could
                        support more runners. It also might cut down on the number of less qualified
                        entries.

                        Also, how about some extra allowance for the best runners so that a win or a
                        course record actually means something? This is a race, after all, even if only
                        the top runners treat it that way. Hardrock will never see a showdown between
                        the likes of Krupicka, Matt Carpenter, and Killian Jornet because it is unlikely
                        all of them could ever get in the lottery with just one ticket each. Make the
                        standards clear, like a top 10 finish in a qualifying race in the last 2 years.
                        As it is now, a Hardrock trophy just means you were lucky enough to get in and
                        your faster competition was not. Who cares? If you are doing it just for the
                        experience, then you can hike the course any time.

                        Everyone else should go on a multi-year waiting list, starting with the wait
                        list from this year. Enter any time, and your name goes on the end. If you can't
                        make it during the year when your name comes up, then you go to the back of the
                        line again.

                        Steve Kral wrote:
                        > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one
                        >ticket taken away for each such occurrence....

                        Yeah, my 48:00:28 DNF in 2007 shows that I really suck at this. My fault for not
                        using a crew, pacer, or drop bags.

                      • Steve Pero
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                          It's my understanding that Hardrock never was or never will be considered a
                          "race". The idea is for people (I very very loosely call us runners) to
                          enjoy the San Juans in an Endurance event. It is named the Hardrock Hundred
                          Endurance Run.
                          The 48 hour cutoff is to give the participants plenty of time to get it done
                          and still be able to find cover in the event of a storm. Sure, the faster
                          runners do "race" each other, but I enjoy seeing John Dewalt come across the
                          line bent at the waist or Jennifer Roach last year kissing the rock with
                          tears streaming down her face with only minutes to spare....that's what
                          Hardrock is all about.
                          I can't imagine anyone devoting the energy to enter the lottery and then
                          train for Hardrock without planning on finishing...I would hope if someone
                          was planning on not running the whole run, then they would step aside and
                          give the next wait luster their spot and pace instead.

                          Now that the racing season is about over, everyone must be getting anxious
                          about the lottery already ;-) Good to see the activity...

                          See you in June!
                          Steve (2 finishes out of 7 attempts)

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                            Steve Pero wrote:
                            > It's my understanding that Hardrock never was or never will be considered
                            >a "race".

                            Some people don't consider a 5K a race. They are perfectly happy to walk or jog
                            it with a group of friends in 40 minutes and get a T-shirt and some food
                            afterward and not worry about the awards.

                            Others look at Hardrock and see:
                            - A start line
                            - A finish line
                            - A prescribed and marked course
                            - A clock
                            - An official says "go"
                            - Finish results
                            - Awards based on finish order
                            which sure looks to me like a race. (The fact that a 40 minute 5K pace would set
                            a course record is irrelevant).

                            And if it's not a race, then why are there pacers? Some say it is a safety
                            issue. Sorry, I have to call BS. In a typical big city marathon with 30,000
                            runners, you can statistically expect one death. If all of those runners had
                            pacers, then the runners might feel safer, but you would instead average two
                            deaths. Elite runners use pacers because when you are chasing six figure prize
                            money at 4:48/mile, wind resistance matters. I fail to see how it matters when
                            you are crawling up Grant-Swamp pass. Any advantage will probably be offset by
                            your pacer accidentally pushing rocks down on you. (Ask David Horton about his
                            broken finger).

                            IMHO pacing is just a way to run half the race for free, either because you
                            didn't get in the lottery or because you weren't trained well enough to run the
                            whole thing.

                          • Don
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                              I've never liked the basic unfairness of the "weighted" lottery I don' t think anyone should have preferential treatment,Don Platt

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Oct 21, 2010, at 6:43 PM, Chris Twiggs <Twiggsc@...> wrote:

                              We all start HR100 with the intention of finishing,= which I don't believe is the case in some other ultras. I choose not to se= cond-guess anyone who decides to drop, and I certainly would not wish to ta= ke away tickets they had earned through other finishes or other wait list e= xperiences.=20 (Autofill wanted wait listers to be wait lusters, which I now propose becom= e their official designation.) Chris from flat Florida Sent from my iPhone On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Steve Kral wrote: > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one t= icket taken away for each such occurrence.... > stevekral > --- On Thu, 10/21/10, David Clark wrote: >=20 > From: David Clark > Subject: [hr100] Registration and Lottery Odds > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com > Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 6:03 PM >=20 >=20=20 >=20 > Does anyone have any information on when we will be able to submit an app= lication for lottery? >=20 > Also- historically,
                              what are the odds of actually getting in?=20 >=20 > Thanks. >=20 > David Clark >=20 > Max Muscle Sports Nutrition >=20 > Longmont >=20 > (C) 720-275-2197 >=20 > -Outreach Manager >=20 > -NESTA Certified Sports Nutrition Coach >=20 > -RRCA Certified Running Coach >=20 > - Sent from my iPhone >=20 > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >=20 > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >=20 >=20 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] --lYd6vZmEvgw0fgrUKQjgghzBnPJSDRkF0BBv9SV Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                              As I understand it now, dnf's get no extra tickets compared to wait listers who get one. Further penalizing dnf'ers would be a controversial board decision to say the least. We all start HR100 with the intention of finishing, which I don't believe is the case in some other ultras. I choose not to second-guess anyone who decides to drop, and I certainly would not wish to take away tickets they had earned through other finishes or other wait list experiences.

                              (Autofill wanted wait listers to be wait lusters, which I now propose become their official designation.)

                              Chris from flat Florida

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Steve Kral <bvstablemail@...> wrote:

                              > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the past 3 years had one ticket taken away for each such occurrence....
                              > stevekral

                            • azsmokin
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                                I've finished Hardrock twice out of 3 attempts. My first try was a DNF in
                                '05 and it could be said that my pacer, Tim Varner and Steve Patillo saved
                                my life.

                                I was blindsided by a condition called Metabolic Acidosis as I was
                                descending to Ouray from Engineers. I slowly lost all muscle control and
                                eventually could not stand on my own. Not a good place on the course to be
                                in such bad shape. I was like a falling down drunk but my head felt fine.
                                Tim had to hold me up by my packstraps as we slowly made our way to the 550
                                tunnel to wait on the ambulance that Steve, who had caught up to us, had ran
                                ahead to call for. The emergency room Doc said I was very lucky as the
                                condition could be fatal if left untreated. He didn't have to mention the
                                sudden stop into Bear Creek had I fallen off the trail.

                                Was I trained enough for the course? I thought so.

                                Did I know what I was getting into? I thought so.

                                My wife really likes for me to use pacers now. I used 3 the last time.
                                Besides, I want them to see what I get to see.

                                Bob Bachani

                                Tucson, AZ

                                _____

                                -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@... <mailto:matmahoney%40yahoo.com>

                              • Twiggsc@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                                  Well put, Bob!

                                  I use pacers and treasure the time I spend with them. They are my good friends. Anyone who stands there offering encouragement while I puke is more family than friend. However, I respect that my fellow Floridian, Matt, never uses them. I won't try to force a pacer on him, and I don't think he will try to take mine away.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                                    I wholly agree Chris, 'controversial to say the least' is an understatement. Still, abolishing slavery and giving the women the right to vote were all controversial ideas in their day...one even started a war...but somehow progress seems to stem from progressive ideas.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                                      Interesting.

                                      How are you defining "progressive" here and more to the point, what are the aspects of the current HR lottery system that you feel are not "progressive"? The DNFer is already effectively penalized WRT to a waitlister in that if they start and don't finish, they don't get the ticket; so the following year, the waitlister starts off in a better position when compared to the person who DNFed(all other things being equal).

                                      As far as "progressive" goes, other than the MMT lottery(http://www.vhtrc.org/mmt/entry.htm), which by way of full disclosure, I helped design, I don't know of any other 100 entry that has put as much thought into their design in terms of consideration and balancing all of the various aspects, interests and stakeholders of the event. I know from experience that there are many, many aspects to consider when designing an entry system for an event that is oversubscribed. Some of them are in direct opposition to each other. It isn't easy trying to get them all to balance out in a "fair" way. It is also important to note here that what one may considered "fair" to them as an individual may not(and often is not!) the same as what the board/rd considers "fair" for the overall event.

                                      In looking at what we(the VHTRC) did with MMT, I think there are other, far more "progressive" ideas that HR could incorporate to their lottery/entry before they resorted to taking away tickets from folks who DNFed.

                                      Best,
                                      Mike Bur(former VHTRC president, 4x Hardrocker)
                                      Kensington, MD

                                      > to say the least' is an understatement. Still, abolishing
                                      > slavery and giving the women the right to vote were all
                                      > controversial ideas in their day...one even started a
                                      > war...but somehow progress seems to stem from progressive
                                      > ideas.
                                      >
                                      > --- On Thu, 10/21/10, Chris Twiggs <Twiggsc@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > From: Chris Twiggs <Twiggsc@...>
                                      > Subject: Re: [hr100] Registration and Lottery Odds
                                      > To: "hr100@yahoogroups.com"
                                      > <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
                                      > Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 8:43 PM

                                      >       As I understand it now, dnf's get no
                                      > extra tickets compared to wait listers who get one. Further
                                      > penalizing dnf'ers would be a controversial board decision
                                      > to say the least. We all start HR100 with the intention of
                                      > finishing, which I don't believe is the case in some other
                                      > ultras. I choose not to second-guess anyone who decides to
                                      > drop, and I certainly would not wish to take away tickets
                                      > they had earned through other finishes or other wait list
                                      > experiences.
                                      >

                                      > (Autofill wanted wait listers to be wait lusters, which I
                                      > now propose become their official designation.)
                                      >

                                      > Chris from flat Florida
                                      >

                                      > Sent from my iPhone
                                      >

                                      > On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Steve Kral <bvstablemail@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > They be better if people who DNFed any time in the
                                      > past 3 years had one ticket taken away for each such
                                      > occurrence....
                                      >
                                      > > stevekral
                                      >
                                      > > --- On Thu, 10/21/10, David Clark <irishsailsman@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > From: David Clark <irishsailsman@...>
                                      >
                                      > > Subject: [hr100] Registration and Lottery Odds
                                      >
                                      > > To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
                                      >
                                      > > Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010, 6:03 PM
                                      >

                                      > > Does anyone have any information on when we will be
                                      > able to submit an application for lottery?
                                      >

                                      > > Also- historically, what are the odds of actually
                                      > getting in?
                                      >

                                      > > Thanks.
                                      >

                                      > > David Clark
                                      >

                                      > > Max Muscle Sports Nutrition
                                      >

                                      > > Longmont
                                      >

                                      > > (C) 720-275-2197
                                      >

                                      > > -Outreach Manager
                                      >

                                      > > -NESTA Certified Sports Nutrition Coach
                                      >

                                      > > -RRCA Certified Running Coach
                                      >

                                      > > - Sent from my iPhone

                                      > Groups Links
                                      >

                                      >     hr100-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    • Andy Hewat
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 23, 2010
                                        I think the HR entry system is very civilized. While the lottery has been kind to me, I like the weighted system and the auto entry for 5 time finishers. I could see the benefit of saving a handful of spots for the elite to ensure high quality at the pointy end but that would make it just that little bit tougher for the rest of us. I do find myself looking on enviously at those 5 time finishers at the presentation.
                                        Andy (3 from 3)

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 23, 2010
                                          You'll have that five timer finishing jacket in no time, Andy.

                                          Sent from my iPhone