Real Men/Women of Genius #66

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
      Bud Light presents...

      REAL MEN OF GENIUS

      {Re-al men of geeeeeene-yuss}

      Today we salute you, Mr. Super-Popular Limited-Entry Ultramarathon Race
      Director That Refuses to Go To A Lottery.

      {Mis-ter "It's STILLLLL a fairrrr sys-stem of on-line ennnnnn-try!"}

      So, this year your entire field was filled in, what, less than six minutes?
      You get an annual permit from the National Forest Service for
      two-hundred-odd entries, and there are over fifteen thousand trail runners
      who desperately want to run your race. And just like you innovatively
      established back in the 1990's, the only way to enter Your Race is on-line
      via website, credit card, and personal computer.

      {"Whoa! We donnnnn't e-ven neeeeeeed the ma-il-mannnnnn?"}

      And at 12 noon on the appointed day all fifteen thousand are hovering over
      their keyboards, vaingloriously racing to enter a footrace for which
      footspeed is not a qualifier. Nope! It's "keyboarding." It's how freaking
      fast you can type, fill-in all the cyber-blanks, and peck out the numbers of
      your VISA card--including its expiry and that stupid 3-digit secret code on
      the other side--all within this "secure, digitally encrypted safe electronic
      environment" and all within a mere fraction of a minute.

      {"But... but... but... my billlllll-ing ad-dress is
      difffffff-ferrrrrr-ent!"}

      Please. Just one plunk of the Backspace key and your entire entry is thrown
      out of sequence. Peeps are penalized if their account numbers aren't
      pre-programmed or memorized. And the only runners to ever fill your field
      are never the best athletes, just the geekiest of all possible cyber-savvy
      geeks.

      {"Ya meannnnnn, I was sup-posed to learn how to hack-in and reggggg-isss-ter
      earrrrrr-lyyyy???"}

      So if ya don't know Fortran, Cobol, C++, Assembler, HTML, or how to author
      macros, you are SOL. You are *not* going to get into this footrace. And,
      btw? LOL!

      {"Thissss race was full beeeee-fore I even GOT to my ad-dressss!!"}

      So crack open an ice-cold Bud Light once that convenient cybertronic
      race-registering process switches from "active" to "full," O Masterful
      Cutting-Edge User I.D. and Forgotten Password Guy, because, while every
      other race director in the cosmos has at least tried to maintain fairness by
      going to a lottery, you still believe in your heart that computerized
      registration is the only way to go.

      {Mis-ter Suuuu-per-Pop-u-lar Lim-i-ted-Ennnn-try Ul-tra-mar-a-thon Race
      Di-rec-tor That Re-fuuuuse-es to Go To A Lot-ter-yyyyy!}

      Bud Light beer: we don't care where they brew it; we just dig their
      commercials.

      ( O_O )

      Yours troubly,

      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      (now on tab at http://www.runrace.net/)

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      The whole trick to not burying yourself in a hole of your own making is to,
      well, just stop digging the hole.
    • Jean-Jacques d
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
        AMEN.  Thank you Rich!