THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 21)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2010
      [Welcome to Positivity Wednesday and "The Matt Mahoney Show." I've known
      this "young man" ever since I first met him. And, by the way, that was no
      small feet! First of all, just to catch up with him--over a decade ago on
      the outskirts of Silverton, Colorado--and then to realize he was climbing
      the mountain in front of me completely barefoot. So, no, not small at all!
      And if I had to guess, I'd say size 14-D or -E. Could even be bigger! But
      he cannot be described as "Hobbit-like"--despite his rare feat--because he
      is also a very tall "young man" who actually looks more like Gandalf than
      Frodo. But it's not magic that makes Matt so interesting today. It's the
      fact that he's actually brazen enough to direct a "Million Mile Ultra" and
      still fully expect to be here when the winner finally logs that
      one-millionth mile--before the final cutoff on Dec. 31, 2096. "To complete
      1,000,000 miles," he says, "you will have to average 27.4 miles per day."
      And if you don't believe me, check it out here:
      http://www.mattmahoney.net/%5d

      There has never lived a man who has thrived on less. By comparison,
      Mahatmas Gandhi was an overdressed high-maintenance Hollywood fashion plate.

      He has been known to fly halfway around the world, climb every mountain
      range within range--barefoot--then run a few dozen ultramarathons in the
      meantime, and live for three or four months on whatever he could cram into
      his carry-on.

      Already he has survived the toughest footrace on earth thirteen times,
      without feeling any pressure whatsoever... to actually finish it.

      His usual running route encircles Cape Canaveral. For fartleks and
      speedwork he frequently outsprints the space shuttle lifting off its launch
      pad.

      He is one computer whiz who is the most genuinely interested in artificial
      intelligence.

      He has been studying for so long, they've renamed the graduate school and
      set up five scholarships in his honor.

      Calculus comes so easy to him, that he once computed the carbon footprint of
      each of his footprints while cruising through a 5K race--again barefoot--in
      less than 18 minutes.

      It is no longer Einstein's "Theory" of Relativity because he has proved it
      to be "Law."

      He routinely consumes all the groceries available in any given
      supermarket--without ever gaining an ounce.

      In the most heart-breaking Hardrock 100-Mile finish ever recorded, he missed
      the finish by just six minutes; and one year later he improved on that time
      by five minutes and thirty seconds.

      He is The Most Interesting Man in the World.

      "I don't always finish; but when I don't, it's usually more than 48 hours
      after I started. Stay moving, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/06/dos-equis-ad-campaign-the-most-interesting
      -man-in-the-world-video/

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["That 800-year-old lute plucker from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      Check out this calculus for that "Million Mile Ultra." If it were a relay
      race, in order for my "team" to have a chance, our first runner would have
      had to have started in the year 1250 A.D. Which, of course, I would've done
      had I only known.