THE MOST INTERESTING MAN/WOMAN IN THE WORLD (issue 20)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2010
      [Oh happy day! Positivity Wednesday's just wonderful! When I happened to
      be stumbling around earlier, looking for some sweet creature to applaud,
      none other than the "ULTRA Birthday Daemon" himself (whose keeper is Dave
      Combs) showed up at two-in-the-morning and happily informed that an old
      (nah, not so old) friend of mine is celebrating her "day" today. BAM!
      (Thanks, Paige ;) How could I *not* therefore combine a "Happy Birthday"
      greeting with a TMIWITW post? Yup, she's Jane Moser (now Cox) and I knew
      her "back in the day" in Wisconsin, I used to (amazingly unsuccessfully)
      chase her all over Madison, Milwaukee, the Kettle Moraine, and Northern
      Illinois to boot. She was so famous, peeps by the thousands used to brag
      her up while running alongside me. I just now did a little research myself,
      and BOOM: here she is athletically:
      http://www.athlinks.com/myresultsadv.aspx?rid=73838346
      And here she is prosaically, as remembered by my good buddy Bill Thom:
      http://www.runrace.net/runreports.php?id=9
      She was running the LT100 (no surprise) in 2006, having by then moved to
      Colorado, and Bill's got her cited in his 11th and last paragraphs--while
      I've got her remembered as just "awesome."]

      Her marathon reputation used to be announced by Public Address Systems
      before the start of every race. Even when they were only 5Ks. Even when
      she wasn't even entered in the race.

      She was once known as "The Idol of Millions," and those were only old
      boyfriends.

      Today she would most likely win the "American Idol" competition if the
      criteria were footspeed rather than vocal cords.

      The one and only time this writer ever caught up with her was in the middle
      of the night in the middle of a Wisconsin 100-miler, and that was because
      both ankles were broken, her stomach was inside-out, and the paramedics had
      long ago advised her to stop.

      The only women who have ever beaten her have also beaten all others at the
      Olympic Trials.

      She has run more just for practice than most Indy racecars have run for
      real. And generally at higher RPMs.

      Once when all the gods on Mount Olympus begged for her nectar, she laid a
      hocker in a thimble and they all passed the cup and were satisfied.

      She is currently allowed to run in forests only after it rains, because the
      sparks from her heels have all-too-often started fires.

      Off-the-cuff training advice she's given has been translated into thirty
      languages and sold by affiliates of Rodale Press worldwide--several times
      daily in every single e-mail Inbox on the planet.

      And while today the world celebrates her being here and inspiring it for
      over five decades, she doesn't look to be a day over 21.

      She is The Most Interesting Woman in the World.

      "I don't always enter long races; but when I do, someone else will write
      about it. Stay motivated, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      Also here:

      www.eatmedaily.com/2009/06/dos-equis-ad-campaign-the-most-interesting-man-in
      -the-world-video

      My mark:

      XX
      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      ["That 800-year-old lute plucker from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      There are eight million stories in "The Naked City," but most of the
      best-looking ones wear running shoes.