  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      [Despite everything, we think we can all agree that: Today is Wednesday.
      It is abs-sol-glute-ly pos-i-tive-ly Wednesday and, in that same vein, some
      of the best abs and glutes on the Planet Earth belong to today's honoree.
      He is Anton "Tony" Krupicka (pronounced as I have heard himself pronounce
      it: "crew-pisk-ka") and today he is, for my money, about the hippest
      latter-day hippie in the commune. Recently he wrote about his latest
      "adventure" here:
      Generally, though, he reports more of his "musings and pop-philosophies
      about running in the mountains" here:

      When once he was asked--by folks of lesser personal security--to "wear more
      clothing," his response was to stop shaving and grow more hair.

      He's been called a two-legged cheetah, but that's actually a slam against
      the cheetah.

      He runs so fast that, by crisscrossing the International Dateline, he can
      actually finish a footrace before the starting field shows up.

      Incredibly, he has so far entered just six 100-milers, but he's also won
      almost all.

      Recently he broke the Western States Endurance Run's course record, while
      finishing second. The first-place finisher was born on Krypton and
      emigrated to Earth while still an infant.

      When he says he is "going out for a long run," his friends won't see him
      again till Thanksgiving. And while most long-distance runners will pack
      some kind of nourishment and take an extra water bottle, he sustains himself
      on rainwater and by plucking edible leaves and berries while brushing by
      foliage at thirteen miles an hour.

      His average weekly training mileage has to be computed by Price Waterhouse
      Coopers, the so-called "Kenny G of accounting firms."

      Somehow he manages to attend graduate school in Colorado while commuting on
      foot down daily from Oregon, up where he (in the best sense of the term)
      "shacks." His address of record, though, shows Planet Mars.

      Three is the total number of garments he usually wears, and two of those are
      shoes and the other's a watch.

      Throughout his life he has effectively intimidated about one-tenth the male
      population and thoroughly traumatized the remainder.

      He is The Most Interesting Man in the World.

      "I don't always run wild and free; but when I do, I prefer to give sponsors
      their money back. Stay minimal, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      Also here:

      My mark:

      Rich Limacher
      ["That 800-year-old lute plucker from France"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      Imagine thinking that a second-place course record finish just isn't
      "wanting it hard enough."