thyroid problems and ultras

  • Andrew Barney
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2010
      I'm looking for information on thyroid problems and ultra running,
      particularly in doing 100 milers (like Hardrock). I was able to find some
      basic information just with a Google search, but nothing directly related
      to ultra events.

      Having no thyroid myself, I'm looking for any experience or suggestions
      for those that might have already researched and explored this topic.

      Thanks,

      -- Andrew
    • Deb Pero
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Andrew,
        I'm no expert, but I've been on thyroid supplementation for a billion years,
        and do
        not feel any ill effects doing ultras.. even if I miss a dose or two during
        something like Hardrock. (actually, I think that's probably the LEAST of
        my worries out there!)

        Surely if you have no thyroid, then you are taking some supplements to bring
        the levels up to what they should be. If so, then it stands to reason that
        your body will function as normal.

        At any rate, that's all I can tell you from my own experience. Good luck.
        deb