In Re: Hardrock Hundred and the BLM

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2010
      Dear Mr. Jed Botsford,

      With regard to the draft RAMP for future management of the Alpine Triangle
      of territory now under the auspices of the Bureau of Land Management, we
      "Hardrockers" have been informed by our race director Dale Garland that you
      and your agency are welcoming our comments, especially as they pertain to
      the continuance of the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run that annually
      starts and finishes during July in Silverton, Colorado.

      I hope this message doesn't arrive too late for consideration.

      My only comment with regard to any governmental "restrictions" whatsoever on
      recreational use of land bequeathed to us (perhaps reluctantly) by our
      Native American ancestors is, and has always been: "Let's use it."

      Recreational use, it seems to me, is and has always been totally in line
      with the vision of Teddy Roosevelt and our political forerunners that
      established our National Parks in the first place. And as long as the
      Hardrock Hundred continues as recreational use--and does no overt damage to
      the land--it ought not only to be permitted by the BLM, but also encouraged
      and exemplified!

      Our "little" event amounts to nothing more than footsteps by humans covering
      the same tundra that's been hoof-trafficked by animals since life itself
      began.

      Not long ago, while yet other local political controversies were raging as
      to just how much supposed "damage" we were doing by running and hiking the
      Alpine landscape, our little group of trail-markers was stopped rather
      abruptly in our tracks while a herd of hundreds--if not thousands--of elk
      thundered across our path a few dozen yards in front of us.

      It was amazing!

      And I remarked to my companions at the time: "Look at that. That traffic
      has thundered over this tundra for a hundred thousand years. And did you
      notice how all the elk were very careful not to trample any of the
      governmentally-protected rare species of plant life that our politicians
      don't want us to endanger?"

      Everybody laughed.

      Which is entirely the point. Our little group of once-a-year trail markers,
      hikers, runners, and walkers cannot possibly trample the amount of rare
      Alpine flora that ten thousand elk routinely destroy every day.

      And yet, somehow, nature survives the onslaught. Doesn't it?

      I respectfully submit that the Hardrock Hundred not only does less damage
      than Mother Nature herself, but I can also testify that our little group
      routinely picks up all the damage (litter) left behind by all the other
      much-less-considerate examples of human UNkind.

      Every time I myself got back to Silverton, my knapsack was stuffed full of
      somebody else's trash.

      Yours truly,

      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...
      C. C. WRITERS
      http://www.ccwriters.net <http://www.ccwriters.net/>
      708-481-9469
      PO Box 963
      Matteson
      60443

      PS: Not only does the Hardrock Hundred pick up the trash left on your land
      by contemporary careless recreational users, but I can also testify that
      many of us have in addition picked up much of the ancient rusted junk left
      behind by similarly careless mining companies of the 19th and early 20th
      centuries. Just so you know.

      Thank you for reading and considering my comments.