Re: [hr100] Baby needs a new pair of shoes

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
      The Walsh fell running shoes have the best grip of any shoe. You can walk on muddy slopes or snow at 50% grades without slipping. However, you can only order them from the U.K. Be sure to use the U.K. scale for shoe sizes. US size 13 = UK size 12.

      My only complaint is that they don't dry as quickly as a racing flat, but most other shoes have that problem too. They weigh about 9 ounces when dry. You also might not like that there is absolutely no cushion or support if you are a heel striker. The outsole is uniformly 1 cm thick. The bottom has a grid of 1 cm long rubber spikes spaced 2 cm apart. If you are used to an iron boot like the Montrail Hardrock, then you are probably in for a shock. I suggest you practice some barefoot running to prepare your feet.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
        As a former Hardrock08 wearer I switched last year to their Wildwoods. They have the biggest toebox of any shoe on the planet and a good blend of cushioning, support and traction. Of course they are discontinued as well and I have to look for a replacement as well soon and I know my feet won't cope with the Walsh's so let me know what you find Chris.Andy

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010
          I loved the old Hardrocks and was very disappointed when they totally
          redesigned, then cancelled them. I have been searching for a replacement
          since last summer.

          Tried La Sportiva Wildcat, they gave me bad blister on my heel. Then
          tried North Face Rucky Chucky... toe box was a problem and gave me a black
          toe on a 50 miler. I've used the Montrail Sabino Trail now for the last
          couple races (Miwok 100k and Squaw Peak 50) and they have been good so
          far. I still wish they would bring back the old Hardrocks...

          -- Andrew