RE: [hr100] Re: Water access

  • Alan Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
      I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003

      Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
      sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
      made.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
        I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
        runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
        batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
        SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

        - Chris

        On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

        > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
        >
        > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
        > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
        > made.
        >
        > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

      • Alan Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
          The old Steripens were pretty flaky, mine included. The one in the link
          (the one I use now) uses an LED sensor instead of the metal things and works
          flawlessly. It also doubles as a backup flashlight in a pinch.

          I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
          runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
          batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
          SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

          - Chris

          On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

          > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
          >
          > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
          > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
          > made.
          >
          > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
          > [mailto:hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.
          >
          > Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is
          > probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year,
          > but it
          > could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light
          > and forget about the filtering nightmare.
          >
          > http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx
          >
          > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814
          >
          > (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get
          > giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much
          > saying....)
          >
          > Andrea
          >
          > --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
          > <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
          > <sdsnyder@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Newbie here...
          > >
          > > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
          > "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to
          > where one
          > might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Scott

        • Andy Hewat
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
            In the past I have adopted the policy of not drinking from streams during course marking but happy to risk it on race day as I will be home before any ill effects. But having suffered Giardia from the Australian Alps earlier this year I look at water very differently and I have purchased the new steripen. Not likely to carry it on race day though so will just look for snow fed streams and fill up at Aid Stations.
            cheers Andy