Re: Water access

  • kaitainen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
      Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.

      Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year, but it could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light and forget about the filtering nightmare.

      http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx

      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814

      (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much saying....)

      Andrea

      --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com, "kaetamer" <sdsnyder@...> wrote:

      > Newbie here...
      >
      > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Scott

    • Alan Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
        I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003

        Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
        sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
        made.

        --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
        <sdsnyder@...> wrote:

        > Newbie here...
        >
        > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
        "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one
        might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.

        > Thanks.
        >
        > Scott

      • Chris Gerber
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
          I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
          runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
          batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
          SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

          - Chris

          On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

          > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
          >
          > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
          > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
          > made.
          >
          > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

        • Alan Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
            The old Steripens were pretty flaky, mine included. The one in the link
            (the one I use now) uses an LED sensor instead of the metal things and works
            flawlessly. It also doubles as a backup flashlight in a pinch.

            I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
            runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
            batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
            SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

            - Chris

            On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

            > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
            >
            > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
            > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
            > made.
            >
            > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
            > [mailto:hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.
            >
            > Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is
            > probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year,
            > but it
            > could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light
            > and forget about the filtering nightmare.
            >
            > http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx
            >
            > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814
            >
            > (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get
            > giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much
            > saying....)
            >
            > Andrea
            >
            > --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
            > <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
            > <sdsnyder@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Newbie here...
            > >
            > > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
            > "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to
            > where one
            > might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > Scott

          • Andy Hewat
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
              In the past I have adopted the policy of not drinking from streams during course marking but happy to risk it on race day as I will be home before any ill effects. But having suffered Giardia from the Australian Alps earlier this year I look at water very differently and I have purchased the new steripen. Not likely to carry it on race day though so will just look for snow fed streams and fill up at Aid Stations.
              cheers Andy