Re: [hr100] Water access

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
      There is water everywhere.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      ________________________________
      From: kaetamer <sdsnyder@...>
      To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, June 7, 2010 4:31:13 PM
      Subject: [hr100] Water access

      Newbie here...

      Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.

      Thanks.

      Scott

    • azsmokin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
        The smart aleck answer is you'll be able to pour it out of your shoes or
        wring your socks out into your bottle. Because your feet will be soaked
        pretty much the whole run.

        My rule of thumb is to drink only from water sources way up high. Preferably
        from snow pack. But Matt is right. There will be water everywhere.

        Bob Bachani in Tucson where it is 107 today and no water in sight.

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
          Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.

          Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year, but it could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light and forget about the filtering nightmare.

          http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx

          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814

          (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much saying....)

          Andrea

          --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com, "kaetamer" <sdsnyder@...> wrote:

          > Newbie here...
          >
          > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Scott

        • Alan Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
            I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003

            Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
            sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
            made.

            --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
            <sdsnyder@...> wrote:

            > Newbie here...
            >
            > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
            "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one
            might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.

            > Thanks.
            >
            > Scott

          • Chris Gerber
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
              I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
              runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
              batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
              SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

              - Chris

              On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

              > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
              >
              > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
              > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
              > made.
              >
              > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Alan Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                The old Steripens were pretty flaky, mine included. The one in the link
                (the one I use now) uses an LED sensor instead of the metal things and works
                flawlessly. It also doubles as a backup flashlight in a pinch.

                I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
                runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
                batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
                SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

                - Chris

                On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

                > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
                >
                > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
                > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
                > made.
                >
                > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                > [mailto:hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.
                >
                > Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is
                > probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year,
                > but it
                > could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light
                > and forget about the filtering nightmare.
                >
                > http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx
                >
                > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814
                >
                > (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get
                > giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much
                > saying....)
                >
                > Andrea
                >
                > --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
                > <sdsnyder@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Newbie here...
                > >
                > > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
                > "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to
                > where one
                > might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Scott

              • Andy Hewat
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                  In the past I have adopted the policy of not drinking from streams during course marking but happy to risk it on race day as I will be home before any ill effects. But having suffered Giardia from the Australian Alps earlier this year I look at water very differently and I have purchased the new steripen. Not likely to carry it on race day though so will just look for snow fed streams and fill up at Aid Stations.
                  cheers Andy