Water access

  • kaetamer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
      Newbie here...

      Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.

      Thanks.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
        There is water everywhere.

        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
          The smart aleck answer is you'll be able to pour it out of your shoes or
          wring your socks out into your bottle. Because your feet will be soaked
          pretty much the whole run.

          My rule of thumb is to drink only from water sources way up high. Preferably
          from snow pack. But Matt is right. There will be water everywhere.

          Bob Bachani in Tucson where it is 107 today and no water in sight.

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
            Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.

            Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year, but it could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light and forget about the filtering nightmare.

            http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx

            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814

            (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much saying....)

            Andrea

            --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com, "kaetamer" <sdsnyder@...> wrote:

            > Newbie here...
            >
            > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Scott

          • Alan Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
              I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003

              Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
              sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
              made.

              --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
              <sdsnyder@...> wrote:

              > Newbie here...
              >
              > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
              "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to where one
              might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.

              > Thanks.
              >
              > Scott

            • Chris Gerber
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
                I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
                runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
                batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
                SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

                - Chris

                On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

                > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
                >
                > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
                > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
                > made.
                >
                > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>

              • Alan Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                  The old Steripens were pretty flaky, mine included. The one in the link
                  (the one I use now) uses an LED sensor instead of the metal things and works
                  flawlessly. It also doubles as a backup flashlight in a pinch.

                  I use Aqua Mira because 1)it's cheaper, 2)lighter, and 3)I've been on 3
                  runs now where the SteriPens wouldn't work at all, despite brand new
                  batteries. I apparently have the ability to keep my friends'
                  SteriPens from working (except Alan's). :-)

                  - Chris

                  On 6/7/2010 3:36 PM, Alan Smith wrote:

                  > I would recommend getting a Steripen. http://www.rei.com/product/799003
                  >
                  > Very lightweight and small, and you can just dip your bottle and then
                  > sterilize it while you walk. It's one of the best gear purchases I've ever
                  > made.
                  >
                  > From: hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > [mailto:hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Yes, like Matt and Bob said, it is everywhere.
                  >
                  > Unlike Matt will say, if you have never been exposed to Giardia, this is
                  > probably not the time to start. It won't ruin your HR run this year,
                  > but it
                  > could turn into something chronic and nasty, so bring a UV treatment light
                  > and forget about the filtering nightmare.
                  >
                  > http://www.giardiasis.org/Symptoms.aspx
                  >
                  > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12075814
                  >
                  > (And, of course, it turns out that the most usual way that people get
                  > giardia is by not washing their hands, so that hopefully goes without much
                  > saying....)
                  >
                  > Andrea
                  >
                  > --- In hr100@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > <mailto:hr100%40yahoogroups.com> , "kaetamer"
                  > <sdsnyder@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Newbie here...
                  > >
                  > > Any input on where to find water outside the aid stations? I've heard
                  > "there's water everywhere..." True? If not, any suggestions as to
                  > where one
                  > might dip a bottle? I'm willing to filter, purify, whatever.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Scott

                • Andy Hewat
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                    In the past I have adopted the policy of not drinking from streams during course marking but happy to risk it on race day as I will be home before any ill effects. But having suffered Giardia from the Australian Alps earlier this year I look at water very differently and I have purchased the new steripen. Not likely to carry it on race day though so will just look for snow fed streams and fill up at Aid Stations.
                    cheers Andy