Trail Work Update

  • Charles Thorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2010
      There has been some uncertainty about the days for the 2010 Hardrock trail
      work. This should clear it up.

      Rick Trujillo is scheduled to return home on June 30, so the HRH trail work
      days will be as originally scheduled on Friday July 2 and Monday July 5. He
      will be back in touch in late June with details as to where and when to
      meet, but it will be somewhere in or near Ouray. We will work on Bear Creek
      Ouray on Friday with Monday's work still to be determined.

      Please contact Rick at (rstrux@...) to sign up.

      Charlie

    • Twiggsc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
        Hello Hardrockers!
        We're currently enjoying a good afternoon thunderstorm here in Ouray as I enjoy getting used to the altitude and the lack of humidity (bloody nasal passages and chapped lips, oh boy!).

        Anyway, my usual pattern for years was to buy a new pair of trail shoes when I arrive in the San Juans, but I can't figure out what to get and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I used Montrail Hardrocks for years, but I passed on the Hardrock 09 last year because I found the tread sucked - or rather it didn't suck enough and I kept falling on my butt coming down steep trails. Are there any former Hardrock 08 wearers who have found happy feet in new shoes this year?

        Thanks!
        Chris

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
          The Walsh fell running shoes have the best grip of any shoe. You can walk on muddy slopes or snow at 50% grades without slipping. However, you can only order them from the U.K. Be sure to use the U.K. scale for shoe sizes. US size 13 = UK size 12.

          My only complaint is that they don't dry as quickly as a racing flat, but most other shoes have that problem too. They weigh about 9 ounces when dry. You also might not like that there is absolutely no cushion or support if you are a heel striker. The outsole is uniformly 1 cm thick. The bottom has a grid of 1 cm long rubber spikes spaced 2 cm apart. If you are used to an iron boot like the Montrail Hardrock, then you are probably in for a shock. I suggest you practice some barefoot running to prepare your feet.

          -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
            As a former Hardrock08 wearer I switched last year to their Wildwoods. They have the biggest toebox of any shoe on the planet and a good blend of cushioning, support and traction. Of course they are discontinued as well and I have to look for a replacement as well soon and I know my feet won't cope with the Walsh's so let me know what you find Chris.Andy

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010
              I loved the old Hardrocks and was very disappointed when they totally
              redesigned, then cancelled them. I have been searching for a replacement
              since last summer.

              Tried La Sportiva Wildcat, they gave me bad blister on my heel. Then
              tried North Face Rucky Chucky... toe box was a problem and gave me a black
              toe on a 50 miler. I've used the Montrail Sabino Trail now for the last
              couple races (Miwok 100k and Squaw Peak 50) and they have been good so
              far. I still wish they would bring back the old Hardrocks...

              -- Andrew