  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010
      [She may be, at any given time, in any given corner of the globe. And right now? There's a real good chance she's on an airplane--winging her way back from running Comrades (rather well, we should add) in the RSA (Republic of South Africa). "She" is Lisa Bliss, MD, and THIS (it rhymes!) is Positively Wednesday!]

      In the world of medicine, she has replaced "Gray" as the author of "___'s Anatomy." It's now titled "The Anatomy of Happiness, or Bliss."

      In the world of ultrarunning, there isn't a spec of path, dirt clod of trail, or asphalted inch of pavement that she hasn't already trod upon. And very few of finish lines she hasn't crossed, and only a few more of races she hasn't nearly won.

      It's been said that she will answer listserv medical questions via email mid-stride.

      The lady has that "look" in her eye, and above her shoulders and below her shoulders and especially centered around her center and stemming to her svelte stems below and fleet feet below those. She doesn't look at all like your typical Norman Rockwell physician's painting.

      She looks like a rock star. People have actually enquired of Ticketmaster where and when she'll be performing next.

      When the call went out for a Medical Director for Badwater, she took on the role, and then took on the race. Which she then won outright.

      Whenever she needs a "qualifier" for a hundred-miler, she runs any such qualifying race twice--out and back--and qualifies each way, and also qualifies when both times are added together.

      She almost went to The Barkley once, but got a better offer to run on Mars.

      She started out in Chicago, but the city wasn't big enough to contain her fame, so she moved to Washington--the state--and it's now running out of room.

      Once she even ran a race with a broken foot--complete with broken ankle--which she was able to "doctor" using spare leather shoelaces which shrank as she ran through the rivers, streams, seas, and oceans, and thus wrapped themselves ever tighter and saved her race. Oh, and she won that one too.

      She is The Most Interesting Woman in the World.

      "I don't always drink nectar; but when I do, all the other gods and goddesses pay attention. Stay healthy, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      See (and hear) some originals:

      My mark:

      Rich Limacher
      ["Ain't nobunny plucks a lute like me"]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      You won't believe this, of course, but many years ago Lisa waltzed up and introduced herself to me! I'm, like, "What's wrong with this picture?" Well, it only took her a week or two of flying in front of everybody... to correct that picture. And just when I started counting on her for good medicine--she moved.