THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD, issue 4

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17 12:31 PM
      [Here, in continuing with "Positivity Wednesdays," is the over-the-top story
      of yet another early finisher of the full Barkley.

      He is Blake Wood, Ph.D., of "LANL," and THIS is Positively Wednesday!]

      When the Chinese Communists sought to steal nuclear secrets out of the Los
      Alamos National Lab, he was able to divert them to Argonne instead. And
      since Argonne has no secrets, the day was saved.

      When "60 Minutes" needed footage, they specifically asked for him, and him
      alone, to put on camera showing his iron-lung type contraption, and, so far,
      they have been re-running the same footage for twenty-five years.

      It is he that all hospitals in America consult with, whenever they have a
      patient who can't breathe.

      He is also a high school track coach, and none of his track stars can keep
      up with him.

      He has a fabulously athletic young daughter, and even she can't do it.

      In footraces that stay well above 12,000-feet elevation, he is able to
      breathe every well because he is able to carry his iron lung with him.

      Whenever he needs spare parts for his lab, he hauls 19th-century silver
      mining ruins down with him from the mountains around Silverton. Later In
      his lab, where he is an alchemist, he turns all that rusted iron into--no,
      not gold--silver.

      His international reputation as an earner of silver whirls around the world
      so fast, that the International Olympic Committee has awarded him medals
      today for races he'll be finishing tomorrow. Generally right behind Kirk
      Apt.

      In 1999 he won the Hardrock Hundred, of Silverton, Colorado, outright, and
      for his reward they have been making him maintain the race website ever
      since--which he can generally start and complete while watching "60
      Minutes."

      Once he almost finished the infamous Barkley Marathons (hailed by many to be
      the world's toughest footrace on trails, as if anyone in their right mind
      could call those things "trails") but he was stopped during loop 4 when a
      sudden monsoon had swollen the New River into raging so deep and fast that,
      he swears, he saw battleships and was afraid of being shelled.

      But he later returned and finished all 5 loops dressed only in a clown suit.

      He is The Most Interesting Man in the World.

      "I don't always need protection from radioactivity; but when I do, I prefer
      the shelter of Wood's. Stay active, my friends."

      ( 00 )

      Here.
      See (and hear) some originals:

      http://dosequis.com/

      My mark:

      XX
      Barkley scRitch
      [aka Rich Limacher,
      The TroubleDoer at sbcglobal-dot-net]

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      Imagine Blake trying for *another* Barkley finish, this time without the
      costume!
    • Blake P. Wood
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17 1:51 PM
        I am deeply flattered, Rich. Of course, it's all true.

        And I WILL have the clown suit at Barkley next week - it worked once, why not again?

        - Blake

        Blake P. Wood, Ph.D.
        Air Force Systems Design and Assessment, Group XTD-5, MS-T085
        Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos NM 87545
        office/STE: (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-1231 bwood@...