John Dewalt

  • azsmokin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2009
      If anyone has John Dewalt's snail mail address I would appreciate it if you
      could e-mail me at bbachani@....

      Thank you,

      Bob Bachani

      Premium Contractor Supply

      520-488-8671

      (fax) 520-744-8663

      www.premiumcontractor.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013
        Hardrockers,
        I received this from Joe Salette in Ouray. Once again, Hardrockers across the
        world are saddened by this news.
        Dale

        "It is with great sadness that I write you to inform you of John DeWalt's
        passing. He was a great friend and tremendous person. I spoke with John many
        times over the past few years when he was absent from Hardrock, and most
        recently about 3 weeks ago. As you know, he had not been doing that well, but
        put a great face on it. John died this past Saturday evening, August 10. He
        will most certainly be missed and loved by all."

        Best Regards,

        Joe Salette

        Ouray
      • kaitainen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013
          Sad news, indeed, though not quite as sad knowing he had an amazing life and enjoyed darn near every moment I ever saw in his presence.

          I spent some trail time last weekend at Angeles Crest telling my favorite DeWalt tale. I'll
          tell it here:

          It was 2004 Hardrock, the first year I was to finish. John had left KT
          just ahead of me and was moving very slowly up that shelf trail - frankly, it didn't look
          good. He was kind of gimpy and shuffling along. I couldn't help but think,
          "John, this early??? that's not a good sign..." But then, just as I was
          about to easily pass him with my own marginal strolling speed, he decided
          to start jogging. So he did, a shuffle that still looked kind of
          disjointed if you didn't also notice that he was jogging uphill at 11,000' elevation
          at less than 10 minute pace. And so I learned the 'secret' of John DeWalt:
          leg speed of the gods.

          That's one of my DeWalt stories, but it shows that just looking at the
          surface is a bad, bad way to judge anything or anyone.

          Some photos I love:
          He wears the colors with pride:
          http://varnermiles.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/dewalt.jpg?w=640

          He always inspired the younger generations (and there were lots of younger
          generations relative to him, which was part of what was inspiring!):
          http://lh3.ggpht.com/-sanG-vPNBL4/RrZhC-5Vo3I/AAAAAAAABJg/XTzokYKR3jI/s512/
          DSC_8187.JPG

          Andrea
          andrea@...