Oops... FW: Wow!: 50 Miles (i.e., World Record)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2009
      Whole lotta UC today, huh?

      <I'm so happy finally, at long last, to contribute something of substance!

      Here. This came into my Inbox earlier today, before the deluge. And I'm
      just *now* getting back to granting this gentleman's request.

      Thanks, all, for bearing with...

      Rich Limacher
      C. C. Writers
      Look for me on the road...

      From: "Griffith, Jackson" <Jackson_Griffith@...>
      Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:16:51
      To: <j_tyszk@...>
      Subject: RE: Wow!: 50 Miles (i.e., World Record)

      That is amazing. For me, Yiannis Kouros has the most impressive range &
      collection of Ultra records. His 20:25 Spartathlon record equates to
      8:03 mins per mile, and I'm sure he therefore went over the mountain in
      about 13 hours (it would have still been daylight so he wouldn't have
      needed those yellow markers!). He then probably did the final 50 miles
      to Sparta after the mountain in about 7 hours.

      He also has a 12:35 100 miler to his name (7:33 mpm), when he was in his

      What many think to be his best record is being the only guy to go over
      300kms (186miles) in 24 hours (7:45 mpm).

      He also had a rather fun Athens-Sparta-Athens in 53 hours (therefore
      averaging 26:30 for each 153 mile rep).

      Full list here; http://www.yianniskouros.com/records.html.

      From: "Hardy, Timothy L MAJ MIL USA FORSCOM" <timothy.hardy@...>
      Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:37:34
      To: rayk33@...<rayk33@...>
      Cc: <TheTroubadour@...>; <ULTRA@...>;
      <barkley@...>; <hr100@yahoogroups.com>; <volstate@...>
      Subject: Wow!: 50 Miles (i.e., World Record)

      Ray and Rich;

      Thanks for the post on this topic. By my often challenged math, that
      looks like a 5:50 pace; for 50 miles. That, to me at least, is arguably
      the most impressive record I've ever heard of. Before anyone pings me,
      I'm just saying 50 miles in 4:50 is mind-boggling to me. We're
      consistently see great runners breaking course record after course
      record especially in the trail venue, but has anyone come close to this
      lately and I just missed it?

      Hard to compare to a 100, I know. I did google the world record for 100
      miles and came up with Lion Caldwell, 13:45:26, also from 1984. That
      translates, roughly I think, to about 8:36 minute per mile pace for 100
      miles. Also incredibly impressive.

      Picking 'em up and putting them down, fast, in both cases; for a long

      Tim Hardy
      Central Afghanistan