RE: 50 Miles (i.e., World Record)

  • The Troubadour
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2009
      Hello folks (including Ray the K :)!

      I am writing ALL THIS up for "Marathon & Beyond," so...

      ...if ya want more (like, as someone just asked, how the hell does one TRAIN
      for something like this?) you're just gonna have to subscribe. <wink, but
      actually, I'm being very very serious!>

      Here. I can, however, share a few hyperlinks with allah y'all, so as to
      help either fuel the debate or resolve the issues.

      Andy Milroy's [taken as gospel FACT] data concerning ultra world records,
      kept by the AUA:

      http://www.americanultra.org/stats/world_records.htm#men

      Some kinda "distance" and/or "endurance" records recordkeeping website
      (here's where I first researched Bruce's still-standing record):

      http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/ultramentor/records_running.html

      And here's your generally basic American ultra records recordkeeping place
      (again the AUA):

      http://www.americanultra.org/stats/statframeset.htm

      Lastly [thanks, Ray, dammit; you stole my thunder!!!!! ;-] here's a little
      "something" about our very own Ray the K...

      I have in my possession THE souvenir booklet from the "6th Annual AMJA
      Ultramarathon Seminar and Footraces of 50 Miles & 100 Kilometers, October
      13-14, 1984, Chicago, Illinois" which shows, on page 26, the following:

      "COURSE RECORDS AT THE AMJA ULTRAMARATHONS

      <snip>

      "100 KILOMETER
      MEN -
      Open 6:38:20* Bernd Heinrich, 41, VT 4 Oct 81
      29 & under 7:11:56 Ray Krolewicz, 27, SC 3 Oct 82"

      <snip>

      "100 MILE ELITE MEN'S RUN (1982 only)
      13:40:27 Kevin Eagleton, 31, MO
      14:14:14 Ray Krolewicz, 27, SC"

      (only one more runner listed after Ray = some cat named Park Barner, 38, PA)

      So.

      Guess what?

      # 1) our Ray knows something whereof he speaks! (and speaks, and speaks,
      and speaks... :-)

      and

      # 2) "always the bridesmaid, never the bride," Ray? (in terms of setting
      World, American, and/or Course Records maybe)

      But Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

      Ray the K has actually compiled more ultramarathon outright WINS than
      anybody else in history, or in America, whichever comes first. Fess up,
      Ray? How many wins exactly now????

      Yours troubly,

      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...

      [Ray thinks I'm kidding, until my next email is off-list to HIM
      PERSONALLY!!!! ;-]

      From: "The Troubadour" <TheTroubadour@...>
      Greetings Everyone!

      25th Anniversary of the Still-Standing World Record
      for Running the 50-Mile Distance (4:50:51). That record was set on Sunday,
      October 14, 1984, right here (where I approximately live) along Chicago's
      Lakefront during the former AMJA Ultramarathons, and the gentleman holding
      that record is Bruce Fordyce, of South Africa.

      Yours truly,

      Rich Limacher
      Matteson, Illinois USA
      TheTroubadour@...

      A quick followup to this post. TODAY is the day. Yep, 25 years ago today on
      the shores of Lake Michigan Bruce Fordyce set the still standing WR for 50
      miles!

      Ray K (impressed then, still impressed)