RE: [hr100] Re: Easier Way

  • Dana Roueche/Boulder/IBM
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2000
      I'm surprised this list hasn't been closed yet. I have finished the run
      both ways plus an additional 90 mile tour in the counterclockwise
      direction. As Charlie Thorn would say, both ways are just as easy.
      Seriously, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways in
      terms of difficulty. I am just glad that the direction is switched every
      year because it really does feel a lot different going one way over the
      other and makes the event that much bigger. In order to truly complete
      Hardrock, you have to do it both ways, right?

      I would have to agree with most that the CCW direction at least feels more
      difficult. Not only do you have more opportunity to be using all four
      limbs on the climbs but it seems that after many of the climbs the descents
      are such that you don't get much of a break because they are often too
      rugged to have an easy, restful run downhill.

      I do have a preference though, I like the CCW direction. Since Ouray is a
      major stop, I like to have 7 climbs behind me when I reach it, as opposed
      to in front of me. The views are spectacular in all directions but I like
      looking in the CCW direction for some reason and the whole sequence of
      events better. This is in spite of having my first and only DNF while
      traveling in this direction.

      I will have to admit, in a high snow year, going clockwise is a hoot. You
      have the steep descents that are fill with snow so that you can do some
      high speed traveling on your butt. Since it was so dry this year, maybe we
      will have some snow next year to add to the fun.

      Dana

      Dana Roueche
      Boulder, CO
      mailto:danar@...