Re: [hr100] Digest Number 885

  • Julie Westland
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2009
      If I remember correctly, there was a Canadian guy who ran HR in Tevas. I
      think he dropped out the first year at 60 miles (the bottoms of his feet
      looked like meatloaf) but finished a year or two later (not that it took
      him a year or two to finish, but you know what I mean...)
      I could be totally wrong but maybe someone else with a longer attention
      span can verify/deny. My feet are cringing, just thinking about it...
      Julie

      On 13 Sep 2009 02:46:22 -0000 hr100@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Hardrock 100
      Messages In This Digest (6 Messages)
      1a. Re: "Born To Run" A good read From: Twiggsc@...
      1b. Re: "Born To Run" A good read From: Matt Mahoney
      1c. Re: "Born To Run" A good read From: Jeff OReilly
      1d. Re: "Born To Run" A good read From: Jamil Coury
      1e. Re: "Born To Run" A good read From: Shad Mika
      1f. Re: "Born To Run" A good read From: Matt Mahoney
      View All Topics | Create New Topic Messages
      1a. Re: "Born To Run" A good read
      Posted by: "Twiggsc@..." Twiggsc@... twiggsc
      Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 am (PDT)

      I'm reading the book now, but I'll buy the first barefoot hardrocker his
      first beer in Silverton come July. He (or she) can enjoy it on the way to
      the hospital in Durango.

      Wanna run barefoot? Come down here to Florida!

      Chris

      From: "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@...>

      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:22:34
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [hr100] "Born To Run" A good read

      Hi Hardrockers,
      I just finished reading Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run". It's an
      excellent book about the world of ultrarunning, the Tarahumara Indians
      and why
      we shouldn't wear running shoes. Hardrock is mentioned in this book as
      well.
      If you are looking for some great reading about our sport check it out.
      Dale

      Messages in this topic (7)
      1b. Re: "Born To Run" A good read
      Posted by: "Matt Mahoney" matmahoney@... matmahoney
      Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:56 am (PDT)

      I had been considering wearing Vibrams at Hardrock but changed my mind
      after climbing Huron in them. http://mattmahoney.net/2009/part2.html

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      From: "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@...>

      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:22:34
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>

      Hi Hardrockers,
      I just finished reading Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run". It's an
      excellent book about the world of ultrarunning, the Tarahumara Indians
      and why
      we shouldn't wear running shoes. Hardrock is mentioned in this book as
      well.
      If you are looking for some great reading about our sport check it out.
      Dale

      Messages in this topic (7)
      1c. Re: "Born To Run" A good read
      Posted by: "Jeff OReilly" jeffo93y@... jeffo93y
      Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am (PDT)

      Matt, since you have considerable experience with running in FiveFingers,
      you should write Vibram a letter. With very little addition (like a
      forefoot rock-plate of carbonfiber or durable plastic sheeting), they
      could probably have a model suited for rockier terrain, with only one
      more gram of weight. Would that work?
      Companies thirst for seasoned advice. They'd probably give you free
      stuff, too.

      If nothing else, I'd buy anyone a case of beer if they'd finish Hard Rock
      in Five Fingers, single-layer moccasins, or less.

      JeffO

      ________________________________

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo. com

      From: "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@ bresnan.net>

      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:22:34
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups. com>

      Hi Hardrockers,
      I just finished reading Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run". It's an
      excellent book about the world of ultrarunning, the Tarahumara Indians
      and why
      we shouldn't wear running shoes. Hardrock is mentioned in this book as
      well.
      If you are looking for some great reading about our sport check it out.
      Dale

      Messages in this topic (7)
      1d. Re: "Born To Run" A good read
      Posted by: "Jamil Coury" rugged.jamil@... jamilcoury
      Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 am (PDT)

      Vibram is coming out with a "trail running" version called the KSO Trek
      featuring a thicker mid sole and a more aggressive tread. Ted McDonald
      wore
      a pair at Leadville and finished in 25+ hours this year, so I guess there
      is
      hope for a FiveFinger+Hardrock finish.

      Photo: http://barefootted.com/uploaded_images/kso_trek-717365.jpg

      Caballo Blanco will be running at the Javelina Jundred this year and
      should
      be giving a short talk and slideshow about Copper Canyon at the pre-race
      dinner.

      Jamil

      On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Jeff OReilly <jeffo93y@...>
      wrote:

      > Matt, since you have considerable experience with running in
      FiveFingers,
      > you should write Vibram a letter. With very little addition (like a
      forefoot
      > rock-plate of carbonfiber or durable plastic sheeting), they could
      probably
      > have a model suited for rockier terrain, with only one more gram of
      weight.
      > Would that work?
      > Companies thirst for seasoned advice. They'd probably give you free
      stuff,
      > too.
      >
      > If nothing else, I'd buy anyone a case of beer if they'd finish Hard
      Rock
      > in Five Fingers, single-layer moccasins, or less.
      >
      > JeffO
      >
      > ________________________________

      Messages in this topic (7)
      1e. Re: "Born To Run" A good read
      Posted by: "Shad Mika" shadmika@... shadmika
      Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 am (PDT)

      They are coming out with a trail version this fall.

      Shad

      On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jeff OReilly <jeffo93y@...>
      wrote:

      > Matt, since you have considerable experience with running in
      FiveFingers,
      > you should write Vibram a letter. With very little addition (like a
      forefoot
      > rock-plate of carbonfiber or durable plastic sheeting), they could
      probably
      > have a model suited for rockier terrain, with only one more gram of
      weight.
      > Would that work?
      > Companies thirst for seasoned advice. They'd probably give you free
      stuff,
      > too.
      >
      > If nothing else, I'd buy anyone a case of beer if they'd finish Hard
      Rock
      > in Five Fingers, single-layer moccasins, or less.
      >
      > JeffO
      >
      > ________________________________

      Shad

      "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." -Steve
      Prefontaine

      www.shadmika.blogspot.com

      Messages in this topic (7)
      1f. Re: "Born To Run" A good read
      Posted by: "Matt Mahoney" matmahoney@... matmahoney
      Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:23 am (PDT)

      Well, the idea of the FiveFingers is not to blunt your feeling so much
      that you can't feel the rocks. By feeling the ground you learn to improve
      your balance and running form in the same way as going barefoot, but with
      a little protection from sharp stuff. Strengthening your feet is a bonus,
      but it takes time. It is sort of like staring over in learning to run.
      How long did it take to go from no running to running ultras?

      I may have to get the KSO Trek for the mountains. Here in Florida I don't
      wear the VFF that much because in most of the places where I would wear
      it I just go barefoot instead. In road races I wear shoes that are ligher
      than the KSO (4 vs. 5 oz).

      This year at Hardrock I wore 6 oz. Saucony Kilkenny XC racing flats
      without socks after climbing several 14ers in them. They have more
      protection than the KSO, enough that I can run over rocks instead of
      picking my way through them, but not so much that I can't tell what's
      under my feet. (BTW my missed cutoff at Chapman had nothing to do with my
      shoes and probably something to do with training 16 miles/week for the 6
      months prior).

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      From: "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@ bresnan.net>

      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:22:34
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups. com>

      Hi Hardrockers,
      I just finished reading Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run". It's an
      excellent book about the world of ultrarunning, the Tarahumara Indians
      and why
      we shouldn't wear running shoes. Hardrock is mentioned in this book as
      well.
      If you are looking for some great reading about our sport check it out.
      Dale

      Messages in this topic (7) Recent Activity
      1 New Members
      Visit Your Group
      Check out the
      Y! Groups blog
      Stay up to speed
      on all things Groups!
      Group Charity
      Be the Change
      A citizen movement
      to change the world
      Yahoo! Groups
      Dog Zone
      Connect w/others
      who love dogs.
      Need to Reply?
      Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the
      Daily Digest.Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

      MARKETPLACE
      Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families,
      for the world and for each other

      Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format
      to Traditional