Re: [hr100] "Born To Run" A good read

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
      Well, the idea of the FiveFingers is not to blunt your feeling so much that you can't feel the rocks. By feeling the ground you learn to improve your balance and running form in the same way as going barefoot, but with a little protection from sharp stuff. Strengthening your feet is a bonus, but it takes time. It is sort of like staring over in learning to run. How long did it take to go from no running to running ultras?

      I may have to get the KSO Trek for the mountains. Here in Florida I don't wear the VFF that much because in most of the places where I would wear it I just go barefoot instead. In road races I wear shoes that are ligher than the KSO (4 vs. 5 oz).

      This year at Hardrock I wore 6 oz. Saucony Kilkenny XC racing flats without socks after climbing several 14ers in them. They have more protection than the KSO, enough that I can run over rocks instead of picking my way through them, but not so much that I can't tell what's under my feet. (BTW my missed cutoff at Chapman had nothing to do with my shoes and probably something to do with training 16 miles/week for the 6 months prior).

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      From: "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@ bresnan.net>

      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:22:34
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups. com>
      Subject: [hr100] "Born To Run" A good read

      Hi Hardrockers,
      I just finished reading Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run". It's an
      excellent book about the world of ultrarunning, the Tarahumara Indians and why
      we shouldn't wear running shoes. Hardrock is mentioned in this book as well.
      If you are looking for some great reading about our sport check it out.
      Dale