Re: [hr100] "Born To Run" A good read

  • Twiggsc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
      I'm reading the book now, but I'll buy the first barefoot hardrocker his first beer in Silverton come July. He (or she) can enjoy it on the way to the hospital in Durango.

      Wanna run barefoot? Come down here to Florida!

      Chris

      From: "Dale Garland" <hardrock100@...>

      Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:22:34
      To: <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [hr100] "Born To Run" A good read

      Hi Hardrockers,
      I just finished reading Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run". It's an
      excellent book about the world of ultrarunning, the Tarahumara Indians and why
      we shouldn't wear running shoes. Hardrock is mentioned in this book as well.
      If you are looking for some great reading about our sport check it out.
      Dale

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
        I had been considering wearing Vibrams at Hardrock but changed my mind after climbing Huron in them. http://mattmahoney.net/2009/part2.html

        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
          Matt, since you have considerable experience with running in FiveFingers, you should write Vibram a letter. With very little addition (like a forefoot rock-plate of carbonfiber or durable plastic sheeting), they could probably have a model suited for rockier terrain, with only one more gram of weight. Would that work?
          Companies thirst for seasoned advice. They'd probably give you free stuff, too.

          If nothing else, I'd buy anyone a case of beer if they'd finish Hard Rock in Five Fingers, single-layer moccasins, or less.

          JeffO

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
            Vibram is coming out with a "trail running" version called the KSO Trek
            featuring a thicker mid sole and a more aggressive tread. Ted McDonald wore
            a pair at Leadville and finished in 25+ hours this year, so I guess there is
            hope for a FiveFinger+Hardrock finish.

            Photo: http://barefootted.com/uploaded_images/kso_trek-717365.jpg

            Caballo Blanco will be running at the Javelina Jundred this year and should
            be giving a short talk and slideshow about Copper Canyon at the pre-race
            dinner.

            Jamil

            On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Jeff OReilly <jeffo93y@...> wrote:

            > Matt, since you have considerable experience with running in FiveFingers,
            > you should write Vibram a letter. With very little addition (like a forefoot
            > rock-plate of carbonfiber or durable plastic sheeting), they could probably
            > have a model suited for rockier terrain, with only one more gram of weight.
            > Would that work?
            > Companies thirst for seasoned advice. They'd probably give you free stuff,
            > too.
            >
            > If nothing else, I'd buy anyone a case of beer if they'd finish Hard Rock
            > in Five Fingers, single-layer moccasins, or less.
            >
            > JeffO
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Shad Mika
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
              They are coming out with a trail version this fall.

              Shad

              On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jeff OReilly <jeffo93y@...> wrote:

              > Matt, since you have considerable experience with running in FiveFingers,
              > you should write Vibram a letter. With very little addition (like a forefoot
              > rock-plate of carbonfiber or durable plastic sheeting), they could probably
              > have a model suited for rockier terrain, with only one more gram of weight.
              > Would that work?
              > Companies thirst for seasoned advice. They'd probably give you free stuff,
              > too.
              >
              > If nothing else, I'd buy anyone a case of beer if they'd finish Hard Rock
              > in Five Fingers, single-layer moccasins, or less.
              >
              > JeffO

              Shad

              "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." -Steve
              Prefontaine

              www.shadmika.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
                Well, the idea of the FiveFingers is not to blunt your feeling so much that you can't feel the rocks. By feeling the ground you learn to improve your balance and running form in the same way as going barefoot, but with a little protection from sharp stuff. Strengthening your feet is a bonus, but it takes time. It is sort of like staring over in learning to run. How long did it take to go from no running to running ultras?

                I may have to get the KSO Trek for the mountains. Here in Florida I don't wear the VFF that much because in most of the places where I would wear it I just go barefoot instead. In road races I wear shoes that are ligher than the KSO (4 vs. 5 oz).

                This year at Hardrock I wore 6 oz. Saucony Kilkenny XC racing flats without socks after climbing several 14ers in them. They have more protection than the KSO, enough that I can run over rocks instead of picking my way through them, but not so much that I can't tell what's under my feet. (BTW my missed cutoff at Chapman had nothing to do with my shoes and probably something to do with training 16 miles/week for the 6 months prior).

                -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...