RE: [hr100] Re: Easier Way

  • Curiel, Tyler
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2000
      I did the CW direction last year and the CCW direction this year. I think
      the CW direction is a little easier in that you have less hand over fist
      climbing. Also, the downhills are probably overall a little more runnable in
      the CW direction. However, as stated so often, this is an extremely
      challenging course. "Easier" is relative. I don't think your chances for
      finishing are significantly different in the two directions for most people.
      /TC
    • Dana Roueche/Boulder/IBM
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2000
        I'm surprised this list hasn't been closed yet. I have finished the run
        both ways plus an additional 90 mile tour in the counterclockwise
        direction. As Charlie Thorn would say, both ways are just as easy.
        Seriously, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways in
        terms of difficulty. I am just glad that the direction is switched every
        year because it really does feel a lot different going one way over the
        other and makes the event that much bigger. In order to truly complete
        Hardrock, you have to do it both ways, right?

        I would have to agree with most that the CCW direction at least feels more
        difficult. Not only do you have more opportunity to be using all four
        limbs on the climbs but it seems that after many of the climbs the descents
        are such that you don't get much of a break because they are often too
        rugged to have an easy, restful run downhill.

        I do have a preference though, I like the CCW direction. Since Ouray is a
        major stop, I like to have 7 climbs behind me when I reach it, as opposed
        to in front of me. The views are spectacular in all directions but I like
        looking in the CCW direction for some reason and the whole sequence of
        events better. This is in spite of having my first and only DNF while
        traveling in this direction.

        I will have to admit, in a high snow year, going clockwise is a hoot. You
        have the steep descents that are fill with snow so that you can do some
        high speed traveling on your butt. Since it was so dry this year, maybe we
        will have some snow next year to add to the fun.

        Dana

        Dana Roueche
        Boulder, CO
        mailto:danar@...