Re: [hr100] Real Men/Women of Genius #17

  • Jeffo93y
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2009
      From Leadville,

      That is too funny!
      Luckily, I was one of the first to sign up for the Ellteewonhunert. But if I was late, I'm sure I would have recieved alarmed beseechments from Merilee or the Ken-man to join their ranks, lest the race be less than all that it can be.
      Speaking of "all we can be" the military has guaranteed extra adventure this year with a course change. No humor for their loss - it sure makes us feel extra-fortunate to be allowed to be knuckleheads, to have the health (physically, although mentally questioned) to be able to do e tra-cuticular activities of this nature. The ultra-running community is all about not complaining and concentrating on how things CAN be done, instead of dwelling of how they, uh, what's the word? Begins with a "C" and ends with a "T" but my memory isn't what it used to be.
      I digress.
      Good luck to all those participating tomorrow, whether running or helping, in one of the dumbest and greatest things we do.

      JeffO

      On Aug 21, 2009, at 12:25 PM, "The Troubadour" <thetroubadour@...> wrote:

      [Again I'm indebted to Nancy Shura for this suggestion]

      Bud Light presents...

      REAL MEN OF GENIUS

      {Real men of geeeeeene-yuss}

      Today we salute you, Mr. Exception-Demander for Admittance to Filled-Up
      Footraces.

      {Mis-ter oh-come-on doancha want/doancha even looooove mee doood!}

      Yes, they gave you warnings. Yes, they told you well ahead of time to send
      in your app, and, yes, you've known about previous years' fill-ups ever
      since you joined the listserv, but somehow this doesn't apply. You sent in
      a week ago, and the race starts tomorrow. So it is impossible for you to
      even conceive that it could actually start without you.

      {Yooou peoples hafta beeee kid-ding meeeeee!}

      Your check and paperwork was returned by the post office, but you *know*
      this is all wrong. So over the blower you go, screaming at the race
      director that there's been some mistake---right into the race director's
      voice mail.

      {Yoooooou lousy horrible mean freakin' nasty so-and-so any-waaaaaaaaay!!}

      Of course "it slipped your mind." Of course you're "a busy man." Of course
      you have a lot of responsibilities and "this race isn't the ONLY
      all-precious athletic activity in the universe." And besides, your "wife
      failed in her duty to remind you," you "were injured before but now you're
      not," you "have ALWAYS run this race," your "friend is running and NEEDS you
      there," and of course: "you people made an exception for me LAST YEAR! How
      can you change your mind NOW?"

      {Maaaaaybe if wee offered our first-born chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild?}

      Here it is Friday and you're not even connected "live" with anyone in
      charge, the race happens five hundred miles away from your home, and
      suddenly, Mister Wizard, you are inspired to ask, "What if I send this
      Overnight Express with guaranteed delivery by 9 AM???"

      {Beeecause it's YOUUUU, we now cel-e-brate 4th of Juuuuly on the 5th!!!!!}

      So crack open an ice-cold Bud Light, O Julius Caesar, Inventor of the
      Calendar, because your slaves are already all chained to their oars in your
      galleon, just waiting for Your Exalted Majesty to step onboard, so that they
      can row you to Leadville in plenty of time for the 4 AM start.

      {Mis-ter Exception-Demander for Admittance to Filled-Up Footraces!}

      Bud Light beer: we don't care where it's made, we just dig their
      commercials.

      ( O_O )

      Yours troubly,

      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...

      Yankee Folly of the Day:
      And isn't it amazing how, if you fail to qualify for Boston, you can still
      BUY your way in? The Chicago Marathon, too, although closed for months,
      still has "limited entries available" for peeps who pony up enough cash for
      THEIR favorite charities.