Re: [hr100] Re: Easier Way

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2000
      --- GRoachHigh@... wrote:
      > So, is HR 2001 REALLY easier on the downhills or the
      > "easier way?'

      Yes (IMHO). I did it both ways and in the clockwise
      direction you get more downhill roads and uphill
      trail. I was a few minutes faster this year only
      because there was less snow.

      =====

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Curiel, Tyler
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2000
        I did the CW direction last year and the CCW direction this year. I think
        the CW direction is a little easier in that you have less hand over fist
        climbing. Also, the downhills are probably overall a little more runnable in
        the CW direction. However, as stated so often, this is an extremely
        challenging course. "Easier" is relative. I don't think your chances for
        finishing are significantly different in the two directions for most people.
        /TC
      • Dana Roueche/Boulder/IBM
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2000
          I'm surprised this list hasn't been closed yet. I have finished the run
          both ways plus an additional 90 mile tour in the counterclockwise
          direction. As Charlie Thorn would say, both ways are just as easy.
          Seriously, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways in
          terms of difficulty. I am just glad that the direction is switched every
          year because it really does feel a lot different going one way over the
          other and makes the event that much bigger. In order to truly complete
          Hardrock, you have to do it both ways, right?

          I would have to agree with most that the CCW direction at least feels more
          difficult. Not only do you have more opportunity to be using all four
          limbs on the climbs but it seems that after many of the climbs the descents
          are such that you don't get much of a break because they are often too
          rugged to have an easy, restful run downhill.

          I do have a preference though, I like the CCW direction. Since Ouray is a
          major stop, I like to have 7 climbs behind me when I reach it, as opposed
          to in front of me. The views are spectacular in all directions but I like
          looking in the CCW direction for some reason and the whole sequence of
          events better. This is in spite of having my first and only DNF while
          traveling in this direction.

          I will have to admit, in a high snow year, going clockwise is a hoot. You
          have the steep descents that are fill with snow so that you can do some
          high speed traveling on your butt. Since it was so dry this year, maybe we
          will have some snow next year to add to the fun.

          Dana

          Dana Roueche
          Boulder, CO
          mailto:danar@...