Re: [hr100] Re: Easier Way

  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 9:21 PM
      So, is HR 2001 REALLY easier on the downhills or the "easier way?'

      I'd sure love to know a few opinions on this one.

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4 9:28 PM
        --- GRoachHigh@... wrote:
        > So, is HR 2001 REALLY easier on the downhills or the
        > "easier way?'

        Yes (IMHO). I did it both ways and in the clockwise
        direction you get more downhill roads and uphill
        trail. I was a few minutes faster this year only
        because there was less snow.

        =====

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
      • Curiel, Tyler
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7 9:45 AM
          I did the CW direction last year and the CCW direction this year. I think
          the CW direction is a little easier in that you have less hand over fist
          climbing. Also, the downhills are probably overall a little more runnable in
          the CW direction. However, as stated so often, this is an extremely
          challenging course. "Easier" is relative. I don't think your chances for
          finishing are significantly different in the two directions for most people.
          /TC
        • Dana Roueche/Boulder/IBM
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7 12:47 PM
            I'm surprised this list hasn't been closed yet. I have finished the run
            both ways plus an additional 90 mile tour in the counterclockwise
            direction. As Charlie Thorn would say, both ways are just as easy.
            Seriously, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways in
            terms of difficulty. I am just glad that the direction is switched every
            year because it really does feel a lot different going one way over the
            other and makes the event that much bigger. In order to truly complete
            Hardrock, you have to do it both ways, right?

            I would have to agree with most that the CCW direction at least feels more
            difficult. Not only do you have more opportunity to be using all four
            limbs on the climbs but it seems that after many of the climbs the descents
            are such that you don't get much of a break because they are often too
            rugged to have an easy, restful run downhill.

            I do have a preference though, I like the CCW direction. Since Ouray is a
            major stop, I like to have 7 climbs behind me when I reach it, as opposed
            to in front of me. The views are spectacular in all directions but I like
            looking in the CCW direction for some reason and the whole sequence of
            events better. This is in spite of having my first and only DNF while
            traveling in this direction.

            I will have to admit, in a high snow year, going clockwise is a hoot. You
            have the steep descents that are fill with snow so that you can do some
            high speed traveling on your butt. Since it was so dry this year, maybe we
            will have some snow next year to add to the fun.

            Dana

            Dana Roueche
            Boulder, CO
            mailto:danar@...