Re: [hr100] More Hardrock Course Conditions

  • Rodger A Wrublik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2009
      Charlie,

      Last week, I went from Maggie to Grouse and back to my truck at Maggie.
      While going over Handies I ran into a snow storm and was knee deep in snow
      on the final ascent up Grizzly Gulch and then, on the other side, actually
      had to use my crampons to climb out of American Basin (because of how cold
      it was), but like Rick already stated, it's melting fast and is already
      ahead of what the conditions were like last year. The surprising thing
      though, is that American Basin actually had more snow in it than was there
      two weeks earlier. Down lower, towards Grouse, there was a lot less snow
      than last year at this time. Once things warm up, it'll go fast.

      Rodger

      Silverton, Colorado

      On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:

      > I just read Ben Woodbeck's fine description of sections of the
      > Hardrock course that he's been on in the past few days. Ben's photos
      > really give the idea of what it's like out there. I had just talked
      > to Rick Hodges who has been in Silverton for a week or two running the
      > course. I'll add a few comments Rick provided:
      >
      > 1. Little Giant to Cunningham has the usual snow/ice field at the
      > traverse. It's melting and Rick had little trouble getting over it.
      > 2. Cunninghan to Maggie is passable. There is the usual snowbank on
      > the divide above Buffalo Boy. It's serious now but melting.
      > 3. Maggie to Pole Creek. No problem with a few snow fields. Melting fast.
      > 4. Grouse to Burrows Park. Pretty much what Ben described in
      > American Basin. (Ben's photo tells a lot more that the proverbial 100
      > words.) Rick reported mostly continuous snow up from American Basin
      > past Sloan Lake to the switchbacks below Handies. Handies has the
      > snow cornice on the north side descent into Grizzly Gulch but Rick had
      > no trouble there. Rick thinks there will be snow left there on run
      > day. The trail is pretty much clear from the Handies Ridge down to
      > Burrows
      > 5. Bear Creek to Putnam. Trail is open to tree line. There is a lot
      > of snow in upper Putnam but melting.
      >
      > Based on Rick's and Ben's reports, I think we will have a pretty much
      > average snow year on the Hardrock course up high. The lower
      > elevations will probably be dryer than average.
      >
      > Who else has been out?
      >
      > Charlie

    • Andy Hewat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2009
        Charlie, that usual snowbank on Giant-Little Dives seemed rather impassable to me. It is protruding out a fair way and I wasn't game to try it. Not sure if Rick used any gear but as a flatlander I am impressed that he didn't find it an obstacle.
        There is way less snow than last year on the Little Giant side.
        Andy