More Hardrock Course Conditions

  • Charles Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
      I just read Ben Woodbeck's fine description of sections of the
      Hardrock course that he's been on in the past few days. Ben's photos
      really give the idea of what it's like out there. I had just talked
      to Rick Hodges who has been in Silverton for a week or two running the
      course. I'll add a few comments Rick provided:

      1. Little Giant to Cunningham has the usual snow/ice field at the
      traverse. It's melting and Rick had little trouble getting over it.
      2. Cunninghan to Maggie is passable. There is the usual snowbank on
      the divide above Buffalo Boy. It's serious now but melting.
      3. Maggie to Pole Creek. No problem with a few snow fields. Melting fast.
      4. Grouse to Burrows Park. Pretty much what Ben described in
      American Basin. (Ben's photo tells a lot more that the proverbial 100
      words.) Rick reported mostly continuous snow up from American Basin
      past Sloan Lake to the switchbacks below Handies. Handies has the
      snow cornice on the north side descent into Grizzly Gulch but Rick had
      no trouble there. Rick thinks there will be snow left there on run
      day. The trail is pretty much clear from the Handies Ridge down to
      Burrows
      5. Bear Creek to Putnam. Trail is open to tree line. There is a lot
      of snow in upper Putnam but melting.

      Based on Rick's and Ben's reports, I think we will have a pretty much
      average snow year on the Hardrock course up high. The lower
      elevations will probably be dryer than average.

      Who else has been out?

      Charlie
    • Rodger A Wrublik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2009
        Charlie,

        Last week, I went from Maggie to Grouse and back to my truck at Maggie.
        While going over Handies I ran into a snow storm and was knee deep in snow
        on the final ascent up Grizzly Gulch and then, on the other side, actually
        had to use my crampons to climb out of American Basin (because of how cold
        it was), but like Rick already stated, it's melting fast and is already
        ahead of what the conditions were like last year. The surprising thing
        though, is that American Basin actually had more snow in it than was there
        two weeks earlier. Down lower, towards Grouse, there was a lot less snow
        than last year at this time. Once things warm up, it'll go fast.

        Rodger

        Silverton, Colorado

        On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Charles Thorn <thorncha@...> wrote:

        > I just read Ben Woodbeck's fine description of sections of the
        > Hardrock course that he's been on in the past few days. Ben's photos
        > really give the idea of what it's like out there. I had just talked
        > to Rick Hodges who has been in Silverton for a week or two running the
        > course. I'll add a few comments Rick provided:
        >
        > 1. Little Giant to Cunningham has the usual snow/ice field at the
        > traverse. It's melting and Rick had little trouble getting over it.
        > 2. Cunninghan to Maggie is passable. There is the usual snowbank on
        > the divide above Buffalo Boy. It's serious now but melting.
        > 3. Maggie to Pole Creek. No problem with a few snow fields. Melting fast.
        > 4. Grouse to Burrows Park. Pretty much what Ben described in
        > American Basin. (Ben's photo tells a lot more that the proverbial 100
        > words.) Rick reported mostly continuous snow up from American Basin
        > past Sloan Lake to the switchbacks below Handies. Handies has the
        > snow cornice on the north side descent into Grizzly Gulch but Rick had
        > no trouble there. Rick thinks there will be snow left there on run
        > day. The trail is pretty much clear from the Handies Ridge down to
        > Burrows
        > 5. Bear Creek to Putnam. Trail is open to tree line. There is a lot
        > of snow in upper Putnam but melting.
        >
        > Based on Rick's and Ben's reports, I think we will have a pretty much
        > average snow year on the Hardrock course up high. The lower
        > elevations will probably be dryer than average.
        >
        > Who else has been out?
        >
        > Charlie

      • Andy Hewat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2009
          Charlie, that usual snowbank on Giant-Little Dives seemed rather impassable to me. It is protruding out a fair way and I wasn't game to try it. Not sure if Rick used any gear but as a flatlander I am impressed that he didn't find it an obstacle.
          There is way less snow than last year on the Little Giant side.
          Andy