Re: [hr100] Pleasantly surprised

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
      You entrants are just too lucky! We'll miss the beautiful San Juans this
      year :-(

      Steve (and Deb)

      http://perogoats.blogspot.com/

      On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote:

      > Hey Hardrockers,
      >
      > I arrived in Silverton yesterday afternoon. After reading messages on
      > this list and hearing from the locals about very recent snowfall, I was
      > a little nervous about what I'd find when I hit the hills.
      >
      > Here's what I experienced on Kendall Mountain this morning: the trail is
      > almost clear of snow and ice already. The first snowdrift was at about
      > 12,400, and it's all melting away very fast. Much of the snow on the
      > mountains is rather brown with dirt on it, which increases the rate of
      > melt. Also the current forecast shows a pretty warm week shaping up,
      > which is likewise good news.
      >
      > Admittedly, Kendall is pretty exposed. Virginius and Grant-Swamp may
      > not be ready for prime time for a little bit yet...
      >
      > It's good to be back! And the coffee and ambiance at Steam & Steel is
      > every bit as good as I remembered. :-)
      >
      > Seeya soon,
      >
      > - Fred

    • Andy Hewat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009
        Cool, thanks Fred. I have to admit I was starting to hunt for some slip-on crampons with all the snow talk. Not a big ticket item down here! I fly into Durango late this Saturday, so warm the set and cool the tinnies. Cheers, Andy