Pleasantly surprised

  • Fred Ecks
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
      Hey Hardrockers,

      I arrived in Silverton yesterday afternoon. After reading messages on
      this list and hearing from the locals about very recent snowfall, I was
      a little nervous about what I'd find when I hit the hills.

      Here's what I experienced on Kendall Mountain this morning: the trail is
      almost clear of snow and ice already. The first snowdrift was at about
      12,400, and it's all melting away very fast. Much of the snow on the
      mountains is rather brown with dirt on it, which increases the rate of
      melt. Also the current forecast shows a pretty warm week shaping up,
      which is likewise good news.

      Admittedly, Kendall is pretty exposed. Virginius and Grant-Swamp may
      not be ready for prime time for a little bit yet...

      It's good to be back! And the coffee and ambiance at Steam & Steel is
      every bit as good as I remembered. :-)

      Seeya soon,

      - Fred
    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
        You entrants are just too lucky! We'll miss the beautiful San Juans this
        year :-(

        Steve (and Deb)

        http://perogoats.blogspot.com/

        On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Fred Ecks <fredx@...> wrote:

        > Hey Hardrockers,
        >
        > I arrived in Silverton yesterday afternoon. After reading messages on
        > this list and hearing from the locals about very recent snowfall, I was
        > a little nervous about what I'd find when I hit the hills.
        >
        > Here's what I experienced on Kendall Mountain this morning: the trail is
        > almost clear of snow and ice already. The first snowdrift was at about
        > 12,400, and it's all melting away very fast. Much of the snow on the
        > mountains is rather brown with dirt on it, which increases the rate of
        > melt. Also the current forecast shows a pretty warm week shaping up,
        > which is likewise good news.
        >
        > Admittedly, Kendall is pretty exposed. Virginius and Grant-Swamp may
        > not be ready for prime time for a little bit yet...
        >
        > It's good to be back! And the coffee and ambiance at Steam & Steel is
        > every bit as good as I remembered. :-)
        >
        > Seeya soon,
        >
        > - Fred

      • Andy Hewat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009
          Cool, thanks Fred. I have to admit I was starting to hunt for some slip-on crampons with all the snow talk. Not a big ticket item down here! I fly into Durango late this Saturday, so warm the set and cool the tinnies. Cheers, Andy