Silverton Snow Water Content

  • Charles Thorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 1:53 PM
      Mike,
      You're right that the important information is the snow water content (swc)
      and that the amount of snow and the RATE of melt are both important. The
      SNOTEL site (http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/snotel/snoareas.html)
      <http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/snotel/snoareas.html>and
      (http://tinyurl.com/62a4z <http://tinyurl.com/62a4zo>) both record the swc.
      By looking at those sites, you can keep track of that and its rate of
      change. Unfortunately, I cannot yet provide next months' swc numbers.
      I've looked at the swc records in detail for the San Juans since Hardrock
      started. Beginning about 2000, regardless of how much snow was received,
      the melt has been two to four weeks earlier than "normal". A couple of
      years ago, I remember a report pointing out that, even if snowfall and
      temperatures in the mountains were "normal", because of recent more heating
      and more winds (global warming?) in the Arizona, Utah, and California
      deserts, more dust gets blown up and deposited on the San Juan snowpack,
      making it darker and able to absorb sunlight better. That results in
      increased heating that melts the snow earlier.
      Charlie ===========Posted by: "TrailDog"
      traildog100@...<traildog100@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Digest%20Number%20811>
      Fri
      Mar 6, 2009 4:09 am (PST) Thanks Charlie, but what I'm really looking
      forward to is the Snow Water
      Equivalent reports in a couple of months that tell us how fast the snow is
      MELTING!

      On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:56 AM,
      <hr100@yahoogroups.com<hr100%40yahoogroups.com>>

      --
      Mike Dobies (still running on icy trails)
      Lake Orion, Michigan